City weekend getaway

Whenever I transition to a new place, it takes me awhile to appreciate it. Often, I find myself missing where I was previously (which is normal I think) and also looking forward to times when I can "get away" from the newness of it all.

This past weekend provided me with such an opportunity. Since I am crazy - and crazy determined to make my family a priority in my life - I drove from Chicago to Franklin, TN, hung out with the family for two days, then  made the 9-ish hour drive back to Chicago. It was definitely worth it.

However, it is worth mentioning in this blog that I went from a fairly impoverished neighborhood to the richest suburb that I've probably ever been in. It seemed like an extreme twist.

One of the activities that my family and I enjoyed was just the simple act of sitting outside in the backyard by a campfire. I never thought about this as a "privileged" before now, but it really is. Being able to enjoy a yard is a privileged. Being outside at night and not having to worry about weird thing happening, is a privilege. Dang, even sitting outside in the grass is a privileged.  

Yesterday, I was determined to sit outside after lunch and read my book. I wanted to be in the sun so I opted for the backyard (we have a front porch but it only get's morning light - well sort of). However, the people who are hosting me this summer don't have a mower so have to rely on other means of getting their tiny plot mowed. That means that it doesn't happen very often. Currently the grass if very long - but I was determined so I tried to  flattened down some of the grass, placed my towel down and sat down. I mean, it worked out fine but I felt very silly and I am sure if the neighbors saw me, they probably thought the same thing. Not that it really matters though.

Anyway, these are just some thoughts. Oh, and the good thing about leaving a new place is that when one returns to it, somehow it feels easier. I believe in a healthy does of "getaways" gives one a better perceptive. at least for the time being...

Comments