Friday and Saturday's finds

Entries like this exist mostly so I can remember all the food I ate this summer as well as the places I got them from. In other words, this is not a "life changing" type of blog - unless, of course, you believe that one's life can be changed through a meal of delicious falafel. (I might be one of these people). Fafalel definitely reminds me of the joy of life.

I've been very blessed to live with Krista and Jim this summer. Not only are they super chill and easy going, but treat me to delicious adventures. I told Krista (who is also a fellow graduate of Bluffton and a former participant of their Israel/Palestine cross cultural trip too) once that we must secretly be best friends because she knows everything that I love: food and the local movement.



Today we went to a place called Falafill for lunch which features pita falafel pockets and a salad bar in which you could fill up your own "sandwich." awesome. Fittingly enough, just down the street was a farmer's market, which just so happens to be my favorite thing to do on Saturdays (well, any day really). I came back with a couple of southern Illinois peaches.



Afterwards, we went to Whole Foods where I got a packet of locally made granola. I am super psyched to eat breakfast now.



---

This is a double-feature blog as far as food finds goes. Yesterday, my relatives came up to Chicago and treated me to a night on the town. (I've been super blessed by people here lately). It was a good evening of being together, the photography museum, sandwiches, and theatre. (We went to see Beauty and the Beast. awesome). But the most exciting thing for me was spotting a cupcake truck.



So Chicago, and I assume lots of other cities since this is a pretty big trend right now, has a lot of "food trucks." These trucks drive around and basically act like an ice cream truck does - selling food to those who happen to be at a particular location at a certain time. (They don't play annoying music though). Supposedly, they are awesome because their location is never fixed. You have to either follow them on facebook or Twitter to find out where they'll be or just get lucky. Yesterday we happened to stumble upon the More Cupcakes truck. It was very exciting.



I sampled the coconut one, which had about an ice cream scoop size of buttercream/coconut frosting on it. It was super challenging to eat as my cousins and I passed it around like dessert communion, but it was a cool experience.


Chicago is so delicious.

Comments

  1. yum.yum.yum. give me another year and we can move somewhere with equally awesome foodness. :) because northwest ohio does not cut it. hehe. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment