saving face

I don't even know how to start this blog since the title is deceiving. This blog is not about trying to save some type of self pride or anything. Instead, this blog is about skin care.

My skin is regressing. Apparently I am still 16 years old. My prescription for acne is no longer working. And the flood gates are opening. It's extremely maddening since I feel like all the self-esteem I've been working really hard to build this whole past year has slowly been going away. ugh.


This is maybe the most shallow thing I've posted on my blog, but I've been thinking about it a lot (as I feel it explode out of my face. gross, right)? I remember a conversation I had with my mentor/friend/MMN champion about nutrition and about this specific diet thing that she (as a nutritionist) potentially researching. Anyway, as she tried it out on her family, she told me that by cutting out a lot of dairy from his diet, her son's face started clearing up. Now, that my skin's issues are returning, I've been looking into that.

I webmd-ed it. According to that, there is no significance proof that dairy causes breakouts. But I do believe that what we eat is eventually reflected on our skins.

When people ask if I am a vegetarian, I tell them "not yet." I had chicken for dinner. So clearly, I am not there yet. But I would like to cut out more meat from my diet if I can figure out how to healthily replace it with significant iron, protein, and B12 (so I don't feel like I'm going to pass out or that my limbs are going to fall off).... Also, not eating meat, and eating a ridiculous amount of cheese instead is not necessarily the best choice either. And wow, when I don't meat I eat a lot of dairy.

I guess this is why the vegan table cookbook caught my eye. Now, okay before you all freak out, I am not interested in being a vegan. Nor I do I think that we are "one" with the animals and thus shouldn't eat them, or anything that comes from them. (Actually, the only reasons I can find for being a vegan are all food justice issues, which I think is legit. Unfortunately, the author of this book is not on that same page. She doesn't eat animal products because she thinks they equal to us, which I don't believe is a very strong argument at all). But I am interested in social justice. And in eating way more veggies.. and not just eating cheese. Some of the recipes in this cookbook sound awesome.

(This recipe secretly has bananas in it!)
I don't really have very much opportunity to cook vegan (or vegetarian) since I cooking for my family, but I might start trying a little harder. And maybe just not tell people that is the plan, or for what is supper.

After all, I will try anything that might have the potential to make my face stop breaking out.

Comments

  1. Anna! I know what you mean, my face has been going crazy lately as well. It goes in spurts. I started using a mixture of grapeseed oil and castor oil with some drops of lavender oil (which calms your face). I've been fairly pleased with it. Sometimes I even use straight lavender oil as like spot treatments on zits.
    Also....I've been trying to eat vegetarian as well. It's harder than you would think. I try to eat local or organic meat when I do eat it. It's hard though because I cook for Amanda and not just me and I don't want to force her to be a vegetarian. I was reminded why we are friends when I read this blog...we have the same thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. good. let's talk about them tomorrow

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment