yukon gold

I don't usually give potatoes much thought. After all, it seems more like a starch rather than a vegetable. Unless you cover them with cheese, butter and/or oil, they tend to be rather average, right?

True. But today I had the best potatoes I've had in a long time.

As y'all well know, I really believe in the local movement. I know that eating local, fresh, in-season produce is naturally going to surpass bland, old crap from California. Still, there have been lots of times when I eat something local and it blows my mind. It's the moment when I realize that what I have been eating my entire life has been really below average and I thought it was good.

Surprise.

(Like when I went to South Africa, ate chocolate there, then came back home and realized that I've been eating mediocre stuff this whole time in the States and loving it. Why didn't any one tell me about this)?

I bought some Yukon gold potatoes last Thursday when I was at the Farmer's market in Peoria. You know, your "average Joe" of potatoes - the kind that makes us think that's the only thing in Idaho because that's the only thing we (well, me), has ever seen from there. Whenever I go to the farmer's markets I am distracted by all the cool types of potatoes that I never knew existed (like the few times I was able to buy purple potatoes)! But most of the time, the potatoes I buy aren't ideal for mashing.Until, this time that is.

For lunch today, I cut up a few of these babies (whose insides were a buttery yellow in color), and boiled them with a trick I saw on the food network once - I added two garlic cloves to cook along with the potatoes. When they were soft, Aaron mashed them with salt, a little butter and sour cream, and milk. They were the best - and I don't think it's because there were dairy products in it (although I am sure that helped). So good. No wonder I have never been a true fan of mashed potatoes. It's because I haven't been eating good potatoes.

(Also sidebar for those who are wondering about those remaining green beans from my last post - the thing was unlocked this morning. They look okay. So we are going to keep them).

Comments