Over Nebraska and through the fields, to Grandmother's house we go

This post is overdue by a few days. But since I went to Iowa - the land where I only have enough cell phone service to send texts, and where I don't feel like battling a slow internet connection, I was basically off the grid for the holiday. (Not a bad thing). (Also, I was reading the Hunger Games).


This Thanksgiving, like last year, my sister and I high-tailed it out of Hesston and headed north to our grandparent's house in Manson, Iowa. (Every year, Hesston College has this insane Thanksgiving weekend. And since it always sucks Jeron in, we had to leave him behind).

Thus my sister and I packed up Vivian and headed off (well, after I worked a few hours at Bethel, packed and grabbed something for lunch. We are the best at not leaving early).

Seven and a half hours later, we arrived.

(Oh my word, I am so tired of going on an insane road trips every month. It's exhausting. and expensive. good dang. Though, I shouldn't complain. The last 3 I've been on have been over 10 - if not more so. bah. 7 hours is nothing).

This, of course, was not before driving through rural Kansas, rural Nebraska, and the even more rural Iowa. party. At least we know the good people of Nebraska and Iowa are going to put strange things in their fields and billboards for us to look at.


I knew that this Dinosaur was coming. We saw him last year, so I had my camera out and ready for him. However, Leah and I were in the middle of a conversation. I was very distracted when all of a sudden, in the middle of what she was saying, Leah shouted "DINOSAUR!" I knew what she meant, and got my shot, but she also succeeded in making me jump.

That was probably the most interesting event of the car ride.

Thanksgiving, being my favorite holiday, was bound to be delicious and good. The day wasn't too out of the ordinary. We caught some of the parade, hung up Christmas decorations for Grandma (thankfully this year the weather was in the 60s and not below freezing)...


...helped with some food prep, ate a ton, and then napped and read for the rest of the day.

The next day, we left. (Yep, I told you I was good at insane road trips).

This blog needs a dose of meaning so here are some of the things I am thankful for this year. (And I am talking specifics here, I think that when people say things like "God-Family-Friends" - it's kind of a cop out, no matter how true it may be). So here are the top 5 things I am thankful for this year

1. I am thankful for my Grandparents (this is not a cop out answer... and here is why). Since my Yoder grandparents have both passed away, I am very grateful to have both of my Zehr grandparents still around. I am especially grateful for my Grandmother - who, despite her recent health challenges and minor vision lost, still cooks and sews like a champion. I have no idea how she does it. This woman is a machine. I admire her in every possible way.


2. I am thankful to be back in Kansas - even if it is Kansas. It's nice to not have to transition as much, even though I am doing new things here.

3. I am grateful that I can take a break from sending out resumes. ugh. unemployment is a dark time.(I am also grateful to slowly understand what things like "’" mean in HTML coding).

4. I am thankful for my sister and brother-in-law who are cool enough to let me crash with them again/be in their space while I try and figure out how to be an adult.

5. I am thankful for Burt's Bee lotion, powerful literature that stays with me, delicious herbal tea, and sunny days.

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!


Comments