Breakfast of Champions

                                              

There is something about fall that makes me want to eat pumpkin pancakes.

This is irrational thinking. Not because eating pancakes all the time is bad for you, (which it is) but because I don't really like pancakes.

I know. You are shocked. I might be the only person in America who does not like pancakes.

Sure, they are fine, but I do not enjoy eating sweet things for breakfast. (Things like cinnamon rolls also fall into this category). I love the savory side of life. Whenever I think about having a really good breakfast, I usually think about eggs benedict. Or biscuits and gravy. 

Sign me up.

For breakfast, I sometimes eat an egg (locally raised, please). But some mornings I am way to rushed for such activities.

Fall is clearly upon us just now. In these cooler months, eating cereal for breakfast often feels cold, lonely, and very unappealing.  So on days when I can convince myself (and plan my morning routine just right), I make oatmeal.

Oh oatmeal, the breakfast of champions. Dad used to make this for us all the time on Sunday mornings growing up. After years of it, I rebelled against the warm cereal. No thanks.

It was living in an unheated house during the winter in South Africa that brought me back around to oatmeal.

True, oatmeal and me are still coming to terms. But, generally speaking I like it, at least the adult part of me does. For whatever reason, this week I have been a hungry beast. Yesterday, I ate what I told my housemate was a "weekend-like" breakfast (an egg with toast, half a grapefruit, and tea). I got to work and about a half hour later I was hungry. So hungry that I actually went to Mojo's Coffee Bar at 9 to get a breakfast burrito. Crazy behavior.

This morning I wanted something to "stick to my ribs" for longer than just a half hour. Oatmeal it is.

For whatever reason, I could not find a recipe via google for oatmeal that I thought sounded reliable. My favorite is in my sister's copy of the Better Homes and Garden Cookbook. It is so simple that it should be common knowledge, but I can never remember it. After moving out of the Baker's household and realizing googling oatmeal wasn't my favorite choice, I decided to share it here. (But also because I have a new phone and now have instagram. So I did the typical thing and took a picture of my breakfast).

Even though I still ate triscuits when I got to the office,  it was a good start nevertheless. Sanford would be proud.

Oatmeal (quick oats)

1 1/2 c oats
3 cups water
1/4 t salt

Bring to a boil and then simmer uncovered for  1 minute. Let stand covered for 3 minutes. Makes 3 cups.

Oatmeal (rolled, regular)

1 2/3 c oats
3 cups water
1/4 t salt

Bring to a boil and simmer, uncovered for 5 to7 minutes. Let stand, covered, for 3 minutes. Makes 3 cups. 

Comments