Summer progress


Well, it's here, that terrible heat that comes to Kansas in July. Last week, we were lucky enough to have  beautiful weather (so much so that we did not turn on the air once).

Yeah. That's over.

Even though this weather typically makes me very grumpy (as does scanning documents all day long at work, getting ready for our internal audit), lots of good summer things are happening.

For one thing, I am able to cook with local ingredients once again. That makes me the happiest. Last night I made this very strange sounding summer squash bake that turned out to be awesome. (I had my doubts. So much so that I did not bother to take a photo). But it is a keeper for sure, especially if you are lucky enough to get overrun with squash from your garden. (I am actually not that lucky this year. boo. Curse you, squash bugs).



Summer Vegetable Bake

2 T butter
3 small zucchini or summer squash (or a combo of both), sliced very thin
1 small sweet red pepper, finely chopped
1 small onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 T flour
1 c milk
1/2 t salt
1/4 t pepper

Biscuit topping
1 cup flour
1 t baking powder
1/2 t salt
3 T cold butter
1/4 c shredded cheddar cheese
3 T basil
2/3 cup milk

Preheat over to 400.

In a large skilled, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add squash, peppers, and onions; cook and stir 10-12 minutes until the squash is tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.

In small bowl, whisk flour, milk, salt, and pepper; stir into sauce pan. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir 2-3 minutes until sauce is thickened. Mix sauce with sautéed veggies. Pour into greased 8x8 pan.

Topping:
In a small bowl, whisk dry ingredients. Cut in butter until mix resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in cheese and basil. Add milk; stir just until moistened. Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls over filling. Bake 25-30 minutes or until filling is bubbly and biscuits are golden brown.

---

Despite a ton of killer grass and squash bugs, my garden is doing well, considering.  My mom canned my first 9 pints of green beans of the season. (Thanks, Mom!)


I harvested my first tomato yesterday!


My eggplant and butternut squash plants are doing wonderfully

getting ready to be an eggplant

butter baby

cans at the community garden
Those wins keep my optimistic about the rest of my garden.

... and even though it's too hot outside for, well, everything, there are still a few "slightly less hot" evenings that we've been able to enjoy, if only for a couple minutes.

Look! Levent caught a turtle!


Comments