Weekend play-by-play

Friday

 Sometimes it feels like Fridays might kill me. Solomon (the office dog featured in picture 1 above) sums up exactly how I feel about it. And ironically enough that picture was taking last Thursday because there is hardly any one in the office on Fridays. Snore fest. Even my cereal Friday morning was not excited about the upcoming work day.

But, as always, I got through it and got to end the day chilling with Levent and Jill on my back patio, under the twinkle lights while fighting off the bugs and heat. For our evening, we made frozen mango margaritas (from Annie's eats. I am not sure if I will make them again but they sure looked nice. I wanted it to be more fruity than it actually was). Regardless, it was a great way to end the day.

Saturday

I don't know what was going on with me this week. (Well, it might've had something to do with the fact that it was my first normal week back in the office and that is never very interesting). But the whole time I felt like I was dying to get to the weekend. Not that we were planning on doing anything awesome, but actually that was probably exactly why I was so exited about it. I love weekends full of nothing - nothing but sleeping, hanging out with Levent, and good food.

This weekend filled all of those nothing expectations. On Saturday, Levent and I made homemade paneer from this book I got from the library called One Hour Cheese. It was so easy. (Actually this was not my first time making this Indian cheese, but I was generally more pleased with this batch since I finally bought a cheese cloth and was able to follow the instructions properly). We then used our paneer in Paneer Butter Masala, which did not turn out as creamy and runny as I would've liked but the flavor and depth of spices was definitely there. Plus, Levent and I knocked out some pretty killer naan. Yum. Yum.

Saturday  evening, we kept with our Indian theme and watched the movie The Lunchbox, which was fabulous (and inspired me to eat even more Indian food). Check it out.

 Sunday

I love Sundays. That is, I love Sundays when I don't use the whole day to mourn about the weekend being over and that another week of work is waiting for me in a couple of hours. Usually, I like to use Sundays to really enjoy coffee and use my new desk for some creative things (even if it's just blogging). Today was no exception. This morning I went out for coffee with my kindred spirit Amy. 

When I got home, I decided to cross of an item on my Summer Bucket List and make some homemade lemonade. Joy the Baker recently posted a Beet lemonade recipe that intrigued me a lot. So I tried it. (Yep, there is raw beet in that pink drink you see up above).  It tastes pretty earthy but it is growing on me. 

This afternoon was also the final game of the 2014 World Cup. Even though the team I was cheering for did not win (sorry Argentina), it was nice to finally watch a game 1. on the big screen (aka not the computer) 2. in English 3. in high quality. This last game was finally on ABC so us regular, English-speaking folks could watch it. I really love events where nations play and already feel myself sinking into post-world cup depression. Oh well. The Olympics are in 2 years.

And that, my friends, is my play-by-play of this weekend. Exciting huh? Maybe not for you but I thought it was pretty stellar.

Comments