All done


It's official.

As of yesterday, I finally finished putting my garden "to bed" for the winter.

This basically meant that I finally pulled up the rest of what needed to be uprooted. I then lightly turned over the soil in order to help break down the straw I had used as mulch this summer. I also had some rotting straw that I never spread out so I add that in as well.

I've read lots of different things about what to do to your soil after the summer season. I've heard that you should do nothing (and with the Kansas wind factor, I certainly understand why). But I also recently just ready about the benefits to turning your soil (especially if you have bugs, which I definitely do. I killed a number of hibernating squash bugs yesterday) and then adding mulch. So that's what I did. I figured it couldn't hurt. We'll see. Next year will let me know what I did wrong and what I did right.

Part of this winterizing was saying goodbye to my beautiful free-agent tomato plant that came up all by itself in my flower bed. It was so healthy and so tall!


But we had a hard frost warning for Friday night so I bid goodbye and ripped it right up.

The biggest surprise yesterday was that my crazy eggplant suddenly decided to produce!

I have no idea if these are any good (since they did live through the frost and some really cold nights and as a rule, eggplants like it super hot).

But I am done. Yes, all done. There is nothing garden related I want to do now until the spring.

It's a really nice feeling.

Comments