Fall y'all


I am not really sure fall truly exists anymore. It's been more like post-summer. (Although maybe that's always how it's been in Kansas).  I fully anticipate the temperature to totally drop out from under us one morning. But I am just being snarky because I really want to wear sweatpants and eat only soups. The weather has actually been really nice this weekend. I think we might be done with 80+ temps for the year. (Fingers crossed).

This weekend has been nicer just in general. I've made a really big effort to try and keep whatever weekend sadness that creeps up on me at bay. On Friday night, Jill and I went to Wichita to eat at Little Saigon. I had some Pho and loved every minute of it. (Also these egg rolls).
Yesterday, there was some kind of fall event in "downtown" Hesston. I still don't really know what it was because they did a terrible job of advertising. The only reason I knew about in the end was because it was like a block away from my house. (And I saw that the library was having their vintage book sale as a part of this mystery event. I ended up buying an expensive Kansas primer from the 60s just because it has a cute little Jayhawk on the cover. Oops).

This event also had food trucks, kind of. There was at least a BBQ truck and it tantalized me all morning with its delicious smells that drifted in my open windows until I finally caved.
Solid attempt, Hesston. (I'll try and not be too much of a hater, but I am way bias to North Carolina BBQ to anything I've had in Kansas thus far).

Earlier this week, my coworker friend, Tina, gave me a surplus of tomatoes that she can no longer deal with. Since I am awesome at begging free garden produce from people. she gave me a ton of them.

So on Saturday afternoon I was finally able to preserve some of the summer season by making marinara sauce.
As per usually, it was a ton of work for only 4 quarts. So really  maybe it was okay that my landlord killed my tomatoes this year. Oh well. I will appreciate this small effort in the next coming months.

And finally, this morning my friend Amy (and her dog Samson John) took a fall walk around Hesston College's campus. (Well, the only fall thing about it was that I was wearing a light jacket. The leaves don't usually change around here until late Oct, early Nov).

And, right now I have a large chunk of meat cooking in the slow cooker. It smells divine and is filling me with all kinds of good nostalgia of my mom's Sunday dinners. Yum.  

Hooray for not being sad on the weekend! Happy fall y'all. 

Comments