A bread worth blogging about

My blogging is still in "winter mode."

Apparently.

Even though there are a lot of things to blog about when I can finally grow things in the ground, (the peas are doing great! My carrots are coming up! and the early girls continue to be awesome) I've boiled down the reasons to my lack of blogging to these reasons:

1. I am tired of being on the computer - mostly due to my desk job

2. It is so nice outside.

3. I was reading Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, which I finished in 3 days. Actually, I read all 7 books in a month. This makes me lame/awesome. (You can circle which one you think applies). So, you know, no time for blogging. (I did enjoy it, if you are interested, despite the fact that I think some of the books could've been significantly shorter - i.e. books 4 and 5. Still, Harry, Ron, and Hermione feel like old friends).

Those are the reasons, but this is the bread that brought me back to the computer.

I usually make bread on the weekend - two loaves that hopefully last us for the rest of the week. I typically stick with a basic, vegan white bread recipe since it is super easy and practical. However, I decided to branch out.

Worth it.

I definitely will be making this one again. It is pretty delicious, but also my loaves "exploded". They are giants! wow. I have never made bread the rose that high before.

So now that I have another "kitchen victory," the main problem continues to be, what should I read next? Though seeing as it is almost summer time, I do believe it might be time to dig deeply into Agatha Christie again. Right now, it might be the only literature that might compete for my attention.




Seven-Grain Cereal Bread

1/2 cup seven-grain cereal
2-1/2 cups water
1/3 cup molasses
1/4 cup butter, cubed
6 to 6-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
3 teaspoons salt
2 packages (1/4 ounce each) quick-rise yeast
2 eggs


In a large microwave-safe bowl, combine cereal and water. Cover and cook on high for 4 minutes (mixture will be liquidy). Stir in molasses and butter. Let stand until mixture cools to 120°-130°, stirring occasionally.

In a large bowl, combine 4 cups all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, brown sugar, salt and yeast. Add cereal mixture to dry ingredients; beat just until moistened. Add eggs; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a firm dough (dough will be sticky).

Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes. Divide dough in half. Shape into loaves. Place in two 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pans coated with cooking spray. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.

Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely. 

*Source: Taste of Home

Comments