Oatmeal thoughts

I need to not be on the computer right now.  You know that feeling when you've been facebooking, tweeting, pinning, etc, way too long? It's kind of like your brain hasn't done anything for a million years and your whole body feels weak?

Yeah, I'm there.

Ironically, though, I haven't been on the computer for very long. On the weekends, I try to do more things outside, in the kitchen, or bury myself in a novel. But I got back on the computer today because I need to pay some bills, make some financial choices, and all these rather dull activities (though some of which make me want to panic. dumb. I know. But that's how I roll, apparently).

I need to not panic about money. I need to remember that God is bigger than me. I need to remember that I don't need to have every single thing planned out.

This morning, I made baked blueberry oatmeal for breakfast. It is so good and fabulous reheated for breakfast during the work week. We often have it on Sunday mornings.

But now it reminds me of DOOR Chicago.

Since I was determined to provide the teams that came through the doors with healthier options (and not just all this processes crap from Sam's club, even though we did have our fair share of it), I started making baked oatmeal for breakfast. (This same recipe too). It was so great to have kids try it (and adults too) who told me they didn't like oatmeal, but who came away from the breakfast table completely reformed.

Served with some warm almond/coconut milk

This stuff is legit.

Thinking about this oatmeal and about my previous summer in DOOR, makes me very aware of how a brief VS placement in Chicago was not part of the plan. It was this time last year that I was in tears  - trying to decide whether or not I should let go of Kanas and go.

It was one of the best decision I ever made. And it wasn't even part of my plan.

And now I am back in Kansas.

And that wasn't part of the plan either.

I don't have enough prospective or space or time to really comment about Kansas life in deep and profound ways.  But I do know that it is sometimes okay not to have a definite plan, especially since when I've tried making a plan, things have drastically changed.

Being okay with that is the trick.

I don't know why I always choose Sundays to stress out about the future... or even the next few weeks.

Those are my oatmeal thoughts for today.

----

The Baker's Baked Oatmeal/DOOR Chicago (summer 2011) baked oatmeal

1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup oil
2 eggs
1 t salt
2 t baking powder
1 cup milk
2 1/2 c oatmeal
1/4 c wheat germ
blueberries (or any combination of fresh or frozen fruit and/or nuts)

Combine and bake at 350 for 30 minutes or until set.

Comments