Saturday's productivity

I have a hard time relaxing. I've mentioned this before, but every weekend I become even more aware of this. I had a really productive day, which is a good thing. However, sometimes I reach the end of the weekend completely exhausted because I forget that an important part of having weekends is to relax and recover from the work week.

Despite my "gogogo" attitude I tend to have on Saturdays, I did, however, manage to start my day without my alarm clock and by eating a donut on the front porch while I  read a magazine. But after that, bam, I was off.

I love gardening, but there always seems to be something that needs doing. I love cooking, but it always leaves a trail of dishes. This is why it's hard for me to sit down and be.

Despite the heat, it was nice to be in the garden today. Every day there is something new to see and discover... and learn (i.e. like not to wait too long to cage your tomatoes). I have two little baby tomatoes on my plants in my garden. I also have a few on the tomato plants I have over at the Sharp's house. I don't go over there very often, so those tomatoes surprise me every time. They are getting massive. wow.

My cucumbers are failing me. And now I am failing them. Out of the six I planted, only one has survived. Looking closely at that plant, I noticed that it is also getting eaten at the base of the stem. It probably will be dead in a few days. ugh. Here is the failure part: Since I already have spent a ton of money on my garden, I bought some bug dust stuff to put on the new cucumbers (that I replanted today). This stuff is not organic. Am I convicted? Sure. But I also desperately want cucumbers to grow. They are my sister's favorite vegetable during the summer season and I have a great idea for a recipe with them for her baby shower in August. They need to grow. This is my final attempt.

Also, I should really know better than to go to Stone Creek Nursery. I ended up buying more seeds. Well, I did need more beans to plant after the peas are done, but I came away with butternut squash and baby cucumbers. Butternut squash is my favorite vegetable, so that feels justifiable. Also I am going to try and grow baby cucumbers in a pot. Maybe that will go better. I need to be done planting, but since I love it so much it's hard to quit.

On the kitchen side of things today I tried a recipe I saw on a blog I found via a blog I follow. (Did you catch that?) Thanks to my fellow Bluffton alum, Deb, her blog Memphis Moments, and a blog referral, I found this yummy recipe for lentil tacos*.


Despite all the yard work, cleaning, gardening and cooking I did today, I made sure I found time for a "slowness activity" too. I sat on the porch this evening and read two letters that came in the mail today. (I know, right? That never happens!) I had very little human interaction today. Even though I enjoyed most of what I was doing (minus the cleaning parts), it can be fairly lonely. After all, the Hagrid the pumpkin(?) doesn't usually answer back when I talk to him. So it was nice to be reminded of community and the fantastic people who live in Ohio and Pennsylvania.


Now, it is time for some much deserved ice cream.

--

*Lentil Tacos

1 cup lentils, rinsed
1 small onion, diced (I used green since that is what is in season right now)
1 garlic clove, minced
2 t chili powder
2 t cumin
1 t oregano
2 1/2 c veggie broth (I used one 14.5 oz can and added enough water to get the required liquid amount)
1 cup salsa

In large skillet, saute onion and garlic in a little olive oil. Add lentils, broth and salsa. Bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for 45-60 minutes or until lentils are tender and most of the liquid is absorbed.

Chomp in your tortilla :-)

Recipe adapted from Mister and Toots and Eat At Home


Comments