Squashathon 2012

Every day I walk outside to check on garden life. Every day I walk back inside with a zucchini.

Okay, that's not exactly true but it is starting to be the trend. How do those things suddenly appear out of thin air? I checked (and picked one) yesterday and didn't see the one I picked today. Zucchini is a champion grower. (Garden lesson 1: unless you a feeding the masses from your garden, only plant one zucchini plant. Even if your solo plant dies on you, you can always find someone who has too much zucchini).


But it's too late for that. I already have two and cannot find it in my heart to ignore them. As a result, we have to deal with the pile that is now accumulating on the kitchen counter.

Today, Leah made zucchini bread. Now, I wasn't going to mention this at all. After all, zucchini bread seems like a regular "plain jane" thing (in the same way banana bread does). But I don't think I am giving it enough credit. It is super delicious. Also, I need to realize that not everyone grew up with a garden in the backyard. Zucchini bread was a normal part of our summer cuisine, but that does not make it true for all.

Since I am hoping to share a lot of zucchini recipes on this blog, I figured I would start with an "old standard." It's a tasty beginning to the 2012 squashathon.


Zucchini bread

Beat:
3 eggs

Add:
2 cups sugar
1 cup oil
1 t vanilla

Grate and add:
2 cups worth of zucchini

Shift flour and dry ingredients and add:
3 c flour
1/2 t salt
1 1/4 t baking powder
1 t baking soda
1 t cinnamon

Pour into a well greased bread pan. Bake at 325 for 1 hour.



Comments