July's complaints and pizza


Our bones will not be buried on the prairie.

Jill told me that last evening, as we sat in the living room, chatting about the new turns our lives were taking. Jill’s was one that brought her out to Hesston, Kan., and mine were simply moving into a new place. I am so excited that my fellow Blufftonite is living here.

And yet, I do not want to be here.

July is the worst time to be in Kansas. Well, except for maybe August. This is my first time “summering” here and, let me tell you friends, it is the worst. I know it is hot everywhere, but here it is a heat that makes me feel physically ill when I go outside. (After riding my bike to and from my gardening last night, I thought I was going to throw up). It is the type of heat that keeps me from wearing my contacts because that terrible wind and heat keep blowing into my eyes, drying them out to no end.

Yuck.

Also, what I was once so excited about the warmer months is no longer the case. Don’t get me wrong, I am still very invested in my gardens, but watching them slowly die is killing me a little bit. I want to give up, but my heart refuses to let me, convincing me, if I can just keep my tomato plants alive, maybe they will produce more when the temperatures go back down to the 80s.

That’s the hope. And, I pray those days come soon because life feels so stagnate and gross right now.

But in order to end this post on a happy note, I will report the gladness of my garden. I am still able to eat from it, even if it looks sad. Plus supplements from the farmer’s markets always cheer me up, especially when it comes to watermelon.

Last Friday, I had Jill over for dinner and made a quick dinner of “summer veggie” pizza. I saw the idea on one of the blogs I followed, but added a few of my own veggies just for fun. Also, earlier in the week I made a “summer veggie” quiche at Mojo’s, and dang, it was awesome. So I turned it into a pizza topping. Who would’ve thought that zucchini and fresh sweet corn were delicious on pizza?

Zucchini, you continue to surprise me.


Summer Veggie Pizza

*I always use the pizza crust from this recipe. So follow those instructions but add the following toppings instead:

Well first, sauté shredded zucchini, chopped onions and fresh sweet corn kernels, cut from the cob in a little bit of oil. Once tender add to crust covered with as much pizza sauce as you like.

Add:
Fresh basil, diced,
Mozzarella cheese
Tomatoes, cut into slices.

Bake for as long as this recipe tells you.

Devour with friends and fresh, cold watermelon

Comments