Tomato mushroom bisque

Recently, I feel as if everything that comes out of my mouth is "compliant vomit." Lovely imagine, I know, but that is how I described it to one of my co-workers the other day and it seemed to stick in my brain. No one really wants to hear that and I don't want to be the one who is "spewing" it all over the place. Negativity breeds negativity. Even if it is just a lonely little blog post.

In order to avoid that I want to mention this wonderful soup.

Yep, that's right. Soup.

I have this problem with summer: I love fresh tomato soup but I do not enjoy eating soup in the summer. I recently read on Joy the Baker's blog that eating soup in summer is like a big hug without the sweat. For me, (especially if the air is off), eating soup in this summer is like drinking a sweaty hug.

yuck.

I know, I am killing it tonight with the mental pictures.

However. it did RAIN THIS WEEK! (Shout out to the rain we so desperately need) This made it cool off significantly for a small window of bliss. With the delicious breezes that allude to fall, and the remains of my garden tomatoes still lurking in the veggie drawer, I decided it was a good time for this most wonderful soup.


Tomato Mushroom Bisque

1-1/2 pounds plum tomatoes, halved lengthwise
5 tablespoons olive oil, divided
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon dried basil (or just a lot of fresh is you got it) 
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
1/2 cup finely chopped sweet onion
1-1/4 cups vegetable broth
1/3 to 1/2 cup tomato paste
Pinch sugar, optional
3/4 cup heavy whipping cream, half-and-half, or milk
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese

Place tomatoes cut side down in a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Brush with 3 tablespoons oil. Combine garlic, salt, basil, oregano and pepper; sprinkle over tomatoes. Bake, uncovered, at 450° for 20-25 minutes or until edges are well browned.

Cool slightly. Place tomatoes and pan drippings in a blender. Cover and process until blended; process 1 minute longer.

In a large saucepan, saute mushrooms and onion in remaining oil for 5-8 minutes or until tender. Stir in broth, tomato paste, sugar if desired and tomato puree. Bring to a boil. Remove from the heat; stir in cream. Garnish with Parmesan cheese.

* Adapted from Taste of Home. 

Comments