Pear picking

Well, blog people, I am back on the mac. (grumble, grumble, I don't really want to talk about it).

Instead, today is a good day to talk about fall-like activities since it was rainy and in the low 60s all day. (Who would've thought I would ever be rejoicing in this type of fall weather). Today was actually the first real "fall" day. We've been fighting 90 weather up until yesterday.

Ever since school started, I've been overhearing people say things about how much they love fall, but it was all like when warm climates hang up evergreen garlands during Christmastime. It just doesn't make sense.

I've been a part of this crowd too. The other week I made a "fall tasting" curry (which still needs a little work so I won't be sharing it quite yet. It was probably 90 degrees that day we ate it). But I can't help it. After a long, hard summer, we are desperate for something else.

Whenever a new season comes along, I am quick to claim it as my favorite, when really I think I am more prone to love all the transition period. The excitement of what is to come is always thick in the air. It's that time of the year when I will soon trade in my evenings with Sarah Jarosz for Miles Davis. It's just what I do in the fall.

One seasonal transition activity I love is harvesting. Not that massive field kind, but the kind in which I get to participate.

My kindred spirit (aka friend), Amy, invited me to pick pears off their tree one early Saturday morning. So I traded in the opportunity to sleep in to share in this activity (and take home some of the loot as well).

The pears were definitely not as lovely as the ones I got from Colorado, but it was a fun morning of chatting and picking.



get it, girl


fearless Amy

Scooter is not impressed with pear picking

check all these babies out. 
In the end, I only ended up taking home a bag because it felt like too much to have to deal with. (You can tell it is the end of summer when my infinity for canning starts to loose its zeal).  They were really tiny too (because this is Kansas and it's hard to grow fruit here, especially in a drought) so I only canned 3 quarts (one of which I gave to my sister). But hey, it's two more weeks of being able to eat fruit in the winter.

Comments