"The Soup Off" Soup


I told you how much I love Hesston Mennonite's annual soup off right? Well, yes, I love it. It is delicious and a ton of fun. Although our table didn't win this year, the soup we made was still very tasty. Thanks to Julie Lehman's extensive collection of awesome recipes, we made a peanut butternut bisque.


You know how I feel about butternut squash right? Well, you should know that I love it so much that, come fall, it is the only thing I want to eat. Even though the soup off was last Sunday, I still had butternut in the fridge (partly because my Thanksgiving squash was like the same size of my baby nephew and since the majority of the masses does not like it, part of it was free game). Result: I made it tonight.

I also made a ton of it so I can eat it for lunch this week.

I cannot wait.

Thanks, Julie, for bringing this recipe into my life.


Peanut Butternut Bisque

3 T Oil
8 cups cubed and peeled butternut squash
1 cup onion, diced
4 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 t salt
1 t cumin
2 T curry
1 T red pepper flakes
8 cups veggie broth
4 T tomato paste
1 1/2 cups peanut butter

Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Saute onion, garlic, butternut, salt, cumin, and curry for about five minutes, or until onions are soft. Add broth, red pepper flakes, paste and peanut butter and bring to a boil. Cook until butternut is soft, about 10 minutes. Puree before serving.

(This recipe makes a lot since this is the exact recipe we made the soup off, but if you are like me, it does not stick around long. If you have doubts, just cut it in half).

Comments