Veggie Alphabet Soup



Excuse me while I blow my nose. Again.

Yep. I've finally succumbed to all the illness that has been lurking around me. No, not the flu (thankfully). Just the worst head cold, I've had in ages. (It's been a week and I still cannot shake this thing, which is another reason as to why I have not been blogging lately).

All I want to do is lie on the couch, watch episodes of The Middle or New Girl, drink lemon honey "tea," and eat soup. And let me tell you, I've managed to put some hard time in this week doing all of those things.
Lemon Honey Tea: Simply mix 1 T honey with juice from half of a lemon. Add hot water.  It'll taste better if your honey is local :-) It will also help a sore throat.
Since I am a flexitarian, chicken noodle soup is not my "go-to" soup when I don't feel the best. Sure, I've popped a few Campbell's lids this week, but when talking comfort here, I head to this easy veggie alphabet soup recipe.

Making soup is so easy that even when I am sick, it feels like a shame to keep relying on the canned stuff. So I finally got off the couch and whipped up a batch of this amazing soup, which, thankfully, makes a ton so I am set for awhile now. (Also, it really does not take very long).

Campbell's Veggie Alphabet Soup is my sister's favorite. So when we found this recipe in my Vegetarian Express Lane Cookbook, we had to try it. That was last winter, but this soup has quickly become a winter staple for me, especially now that I found alphabet shaped pasta at Meridian Grocery. Score.



I might not feel the best. But at least my supper is delicious.



Veggie Alphabet Soup

2 T oil
1 small green pepper, cored and diced
1 small onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 carrot, peeled and diced small
1 can green beans, undrained
1 can diced tomatoes, undrained
1 can corn, undrained
1 cup prepared spaghetti sauce
1 t basil or Italian seasonings
4 c veggie broth
1 c alphabet shaped noodles (or orzo, if you can't find alphabet noodles)
1 t salt

In a large pot, saute pepper, onion, garlic, and carrot in oil. Add green beans, tomatoes, corn, tomato sauce, basil, veggie broth. Bring to a boil. Add pasta and cook until pasta is tender. Season with salt and pepper.

*You can add potatoes to this recipe if you like or whatever other veggies you prefer. The original recipe also calls for only 3 cups broth, but then has you add 3 cups water as well. I upped the broth and only added additional water as needed (otherwise my pot was going to be too full).

Source: Adapted from Vegetarian Express Lane Cookbook by Sarah Fritschner 

Comments