snow day, snow day, snow day, snow day

Yes. I said that 4 times because we are currently in the middle of our 4th snow day in a row.

Out. of. control.

Not that I am really complaining here. First of all, I should explain to you that my office closes when the Newton Public Schools are closed for snow days. (I know, right? I have the best job ever). It's been a great few days of doing nothing and pretending to be snowed in, (which is a huge joke right now because it is sunny and the roads are clear). Whatever. This is Kansas. I will take what I can get here.


But let me tell you the real excitement for snow days. In my family, we have a tradition that whenever the snow completely covers the grass then we make homemade donuts. I have no idea why we do this or where it started, but when it snows and snows and snows we stay inside fry up donuts, roll them in sugar and spend the afternoon eating them all. (After all, they are only good right after you fry them). It is the best tradition.



Donut-Day Donuts

1 pkg active dry yeast
1/4 c warm water
3/4 c lukewarm milk, scaled then cooled
1/4 c butter
1/4 c sugar
1 t salt
1 egg
3 1/2 - 3 3/4 c flour

Dissolve yeast in warm water. Scaled milk with butter, cool until lukewarm and then stir in yeast, sugar, salt, and egg. Add flour, one cup at a time, until dough is easy enough to handle.

Turn dough onto floured area and knead until smooth and elastic. Cover; let rise until doubled (about 1 1/2 hours).

Rolls dough 1/4 inch thick and cut out donuts. Let rise for 1/2 hour.

Heat fat or oil (1/2 inch worth) to 375. Cook donuts for 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden brown.   Drain on paper towels and roll in sugar when cool enough to handle.




I am grateful for a hundred snow days












Levent and I built a grumpy snowman indoors. He was not very impressed with it ...

... so we released grump snowman into the wild!

2nd breakfast with my sister
Oh snow days. Can't stop. Won't stop. (Actually, they will for sure end today. But it has been fun while it has lasted).

Comments