Last soup of the season


I think I've posted hundreds of times before that I love winter for the sole purpose of being able to eat all my meals in soup form. Okay, that is an exaggeration. Still, I have a ton of soups pinned on my pinterest board with cozy, wintery evenings in mind. So as spring slowly gets here (and I do mean slowly...) I realized it was time to try a few of these before my soup season closes for awhile.

Enter Curried Sweet Potato Soup.

I think I might have a problem, as in, I am a curried foods addict. Lately, everything I've made has some type of curry in it. Also, lately my go to soups have all been pureed orange vegetables of some kind.  There is nothing wrong with that, but often when I take my lunch to work I find myself only eating orange things. (i.e. orange soup, orange carrots, orange orange). This past week was rough because I had this soup and applesauce. I didn't think anything of it until lunch break. After all, I like this soup and I like applesauce. Apparently, I am just practicing for life in a nursing home when all my teeth have fallen out.

But don't let my lunch break errors keep you from trying this soup. It's another good one from Joy the Baker. (She even liked my instagram photo, which made my entire day... Yeah, I realize that is maybe sad).

Curried Sweet Potato Soup


1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup coarsely chopped onions
1 large clove garlic, coarsely chopped
1 tablespoon chopped ginger
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
1/4 teaspoon turmeric
1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
2 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced 1/4-inch thick
6 cups chicken broth, or slightly more as needed. (I used veggie)
salt and pepper to taste

Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat.  Add the onions and saute until the onions begin to brown, about 10 minutes.  Add the garlic and saute, stirring for 30 seconds.  Add the ginger, cumin, coriander, turmeric and red pepper flakes.  Add the sweet potatoes and broth and bring to a boil.
Reduce the heat and simmer until the sweet potatoes are soft, about 20 minutes.
Puree the soup, in batches in a blender or food processor.  Season to taste.  The soup can be made a day ahead and kept in the fridge.  Reheat over a low flame.  If the soup is too thick, add a little more stock.

Source: Joy the Baker

Comments