The gratitude post

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Believe it or not, I took zero instagrams at Thanksgiving this year. Part of that reason though was because I was meeting a ton of Levent's extended family for the very first time and didn't want to bust out the crazy all at once. Still, it was a good day. They served the best turkey and ham I've ever had in my entire life. Dang. I was grateful, too, for a place to belong.

Last year, I wrote a thankful Thanksgiving post and I figured this is a good exercise for someone who tends to be overly snarky. And, indeed, I am very blessed. I have a lot of things I for which to be grateful.

Nevertheless, I must confess to you that this year it feels harder to write this blog. My family is going through some stuff right now, which has been wearing down on me for weeks now. It doesn't deal with me directly, but I am find myself on the fringes of it, standing back, not knowing how to respond. To make it worse, I am so far removed from my entire family since I live in Kansas. So this Thanksgiving, I am not ungrateful, but it is hard to reach into the joy side of life right now. I feel so stagnate about everything. That's why I haven't been blogging. That's why I haven't been doing much of anything.

Maybe writing this post is more important than usual. So, in no particular order, here it goes.

1. As always, I am thankful for the "Thanksgiving classics:" God, Family, Friends.

It's been a hard past few months and it does not appear things will get any easier any time soon, but still I love all of those mentioned on this list. I am especially grateful for my sister. The Bakers moved in July, which has been really hard. After all, I came out to Kansas to be with her. Nevertheless, I've been able to go out to Raleigh twice already, which has been really good. (Also, her baby is so stinkin' cute). I would not be who I am today without my sister. I am thankful for her. I am also thankful for friendships with folks I have met in Kansas, but also for my college friends who, despite living all over the world, still are very near and dear to me. (I am actually hoping to go visit them this summer in Costa Rica! Can't wait).

2. I am above and beyond thankful for Levent Miller. Last year at this time, we were just starting to be "friends for real" (as I called it since we had a similar friend circle and would often be at the same game nights, etc). It's crazy to think how so much has changed from then to now. I am forever grateful for the day he decided to reach over and hold my hand. He has been a rock when things seem uncertain. I am ever so blessed by his support and his humor. He is my favorite and my best.

3. I am thankful for cats.

4. I am thankful for how well my garden did this year and how happy my cans of produce look sitting on their shelves.

5. I am thankful for coffee and coffee breaks. I am especially thankful for decaf coffee so I can still enjoy it in the afternoons.

6. I am so thankful for my job at MCC Central States. It has its challenges but I don't mind going to work every day. In fact, some days are pretty fun. A lot of that has to do with my co-workers. They are the best people I've ever had the privilege of working with thus far in my life.

7. I am thankful for Sunday afternoons. I used to hate Sundays, but now that Levent and I spend the afternoon/evening being lazy, watching football, and making pizza, they have suddenly turned into my favorite day of the week.

8. I am thankful for the big Kansas sky

9. I am thankful that both my parents finally have texting. Sure it sounds shallow, but it's been really fun. My Dad recently got it and it has allowed me to see a whole new silly side of him. I love it. Keep them coming, Dad!

10. I am thankful for stumbling upon Alan Bradley's Flavia de Luce books. I am on the 5th and last one of his series and hope he continue to write more. They are delightful. (Check out The Sweetness at the bottom of the Pie).

These are my grateful things this year.

Comments