Slump

Winter is here. And even though Christmas is coming, I am already feeling that "winter slump" feeling that we all know and deal with. bah.

The dryer at 417 must be feeling it too because it is taking it way too long to dry my clothes right now.

Thankfully, not every thing is in a slump. Work right now is very busy because of end of the year giving. On Monday, I champed out 100+ handwritten Christmas cards for donors. Crazy.


My coffee making skills are no longer in a slump thanks to the recent batch of Chai mix I whipped up last weekend. Yum.


My workout routine has actually improved, which is surprising since it is hard to motivate myself when it is dark and cold outside. But finally, I am getting back to where I was, pre-relief sale season.

However, the place where I feel the winter slump the most is in the kitchen.

I love to cook. It is one of my favorite things to do. But lately, cooking and I have seemed to lost our magic. I am in a major slump. Maybe I am just having a "garden hangover." Everything I make does not turn out that well. Or I get excited to try new recipes to only have them turn out super average. This would not be that big of deal if I didn't then have to eat that same dish for at least 3 more days.

Ugh. Leftovers. We have an on-again, off-again relationship.

But last night, I finally made something that brought me out of this slump, if only temporarily.

A few months ago when I was home in Asheville, my mom gave me a recipe she had recently found. It quickly became a "to-go" fall soup for her since it was so simple and delicious. It's called "Best Curried Pumpkin Soup" and rightly so. I had a pumpkin curry soup that I've made before, but I think it majorly falls in comparison to this one. (So much so that I am removing it from my recipe index). So never mind that old soup. This one is the way to go. I felt a little weird about the evaporated milk in but it really isn't weird at all. So good. It is the best thing you could eat on a cold, winter day like today, slump or no slump.

Best Curried Pumpkin Soup


(Since I didn't change anything, you can just check the recipe out on the Taste of Home website).

Comments