Taste of Randolph Street


No matter how hard life transitions are, there is nothing like a quick pick-me up in the form of delicious food and the bright summer sun glistening above the best city’s skyline.  Today, I was lucky enough to have Krista and Jim treat me to the Taste of Randolph Street. 

According to Krista (the best Chicago guru I know), if you want to open a new restaurant, Randolph Street is the place to be. (I also learned that this is the same street where a Harpo studio resides). With this in mind, you can image how hype there is on this street in regards to the food and atmosphere. Needless to say, I was pretty exciting. When it comes to being in Chicago, most of what I want to do here is eat. There were so many options, from Italian to Indian street food (I still am not sure how I passed up samoosas) to southern cooking (where the coleslaw is properly placed right on the BBQ sandwich), it was so hard to finally decide what to get. 

Unfortunately, I did not bring my camera with me to document the things I ate (which would’ve been a nice touch to this rather sorry blog entry). Oh well, I am still going to fill y’all in. We first sampled some chocolate covered grapes, which were interesting, but not very exciting. But then came the good stuff – a mojito ice tea (no worries, mom, it was non-alcoholic) from The Tasting Room and then my favorite thing ever thanks to Alhambra Palace Restaurant– a falafel sandwich (falafel stuffed inside of the real deal pita bread with delicious veggies and a yogurt sauce). A-ma-zing! It is so great to live in a place where access to real pita bread is an option. 

With a satisfied stomach and burnt shoulders, we made our way back to the green line to catch the el back to Garfield Park. And even though I still have spells of wondering why I am here, I am definitely glad I have experiences like this (and people like this) that pull me out of those “depressed fogs” and awaken my senses to this wonderful place called Chicago. 


Comments