The 4th of July

How am I spending this 4th of July? By sitting at my desk in an empty house listening to The Civil Wars and trying not to wallow in a deep tank of depression that always comes along with job hunting on the internet. Wow, that was a long sentence.

I keep trying to remember what I was doing last year. This is strange, since I was in South Africa and I am pretty sure that the 4th came and went and I barely realized it. (I was probably watching World Cup matches, cuddling by the space heater in our house). In theory, I don't really care about the 4th of July at all. But I am a fan of family and cookouts - none of which happened today. Or last year.

We have a smaller group at DOOR this week (most likely because of the holiday). So apparently a smaller number of participants means I am pulling out all the stops of being absolutely insane. I made a ton of food for supper and also tried to make cinnamon rolls for breakfast tomorrow but had a lot of issues.(It probably didn't help that I was trying to do super prep all the while trying to roll out the buns with a can of cooking spray instead of a rolling pin. eek. I hope that they are okay because plan B is lame). My feet and legs really hurts for pulling too many extra hours this afternoon. I shouldn't really complain though and I know that. After all this was all my idea. It sure beats sitting around doing nothing. So instead I will tell you my favorite part about today.

I found out today that the community garden next to the church and faith house is allowing DOOR to use the massive plot of overgrown mint. I am so excited! No lie. A massive plot of overgrown mint is my dream. So tonight, I made sweet iced tea with mint. It was delicious (although I am not sure if every one thought so since there was about a gallon left over- well, that or I just made too much since that was theme for today. I guess it's fitting. What says "Happy birthday America" like too much of something? ha). Since there was too much I borrowed a water bottle and brought some home. My lunch tomorrow is going to be delicious oh so much more delicious because of it.



(Okay side note: I did end up going outside on the porch for a few minutes and watched some fireworks pop over the tree tops. Actually, even though my view was pretty restricted, it wasn't half bad since they were coming from all different directions. and they still continue...)

Comments