The end of a long week

Yes, it is only Tuesday evening but in a way it was felt like an entire week has wedged itself in Sunday evening and Monday. (This is especially true for the "real" DOOR staff - after all, I am just the cook).

However, even though this week did have its set backs, I felt the need to give a small blog shout out to my dish crew this evening (even though none of them will ever read this post). After "Indiana" left, the other teams have had to pull extra chores because of the other team's sudden absence. You'd think that this would cause of a lot of grumbling and complaining. That was definitely not the case today.

I sat with the group from Michigan during the meal and listened to the stories that the girls next to me kept rattling off - all full of energy about things that happened during their work placements. That alone was a good thing to hear. We were afraid that the other group's fear would've been contagious. It definitely was not.

This was also the same crew that volunteered to clean up for supper dishes. The entire time they worked they sang and laughed and were full of energy - even after a long day of volunteering.

It was very refreshing to see the life and the uncreated joy found in that kitchen this evening. As I drove home, I felt this deep, bubbling-up type of joy within me. I am so grateful to be here.

This is a big deal - I had a lot of reasons why I should not come to Chicago for the summer, but I came anyway. Of course there have been times when I question why I did, especially when the waters of depression seem to be causing me to drown. It's been a struggle. Dang - this whole post-Bluffton time of life has been a insane struggle. But I am so thankful for these moments because really, I don't regret anything. I am so glad that I came here. Plus the people I work with are amazing individuals, so much that I even feel a little sad about leaving (I am taking the train to Ohio tonight).It will be good to get out of the city for awhile. But it is also encouraging to know that it will be great to return.


Give thanks to the Lord, for He is good. His love endures forever.

Comments