3 things

My blog posts are usually better then I stick to one subject.

Tonight, I am not going to do that - so prepare yourself for a mediocre report.

I could just say my theme is "fall" but that has been every other blog post lately. Maybe it's the implied theme for the rest of the month.  I could've elaborated on more to make three different post. Instead, this is the mash-up.

1. I canned today! If you know me, you know that there are few things in life that I like better than canning my own produce. This is a very expensive task if one does not grow the food oneself. And since I have been nomadic since 2005, obliviously I do not plant things in the ground. I am a "hunter and gatherer" (emphasis on the gatherer part). This is often depressing, for lots of reasons.

I was hanging out with my friend, Tracy Pintar, last Saturday when I mentioned how I really just needed to find someone with an abundance of produce they want off their hands. After all, avid gardeners (especially in this area where the soil is so rich), typically end up with more than they need - or want - or can even put up with. After I mentioned this, we realized that Tracy's family fell into this category. They had a bumper (and late) crop of green beans. So on Tuesday morning, I went out into the field with Tracy and "gleaned" their beans. It was great. Tracy's dad then gave me an entire bag of peaches from their loaded trees too.

(the pumpkin on the left was the one I mentioned before - it was also free!)

Out of the two bursting bags of green beans and the bag of peaches, I ended up with a grand total of 6 pints. I only worked on peaches today since the pressure cooker I need for the beans isn't available to me yet, and then I realized I didn't have enough sugar to make the syrup for more jars than a half dozen. Regardless, it was pretty great.

2. I despise running, but I find little pockets of joy whenever I can go out of my way to crunch a leaf or an acorn that has fallen onto the sidewalk. Tonight, I crunched away and ran in the cool weather.

3. Today was our first real cold weather day. But this was not only significant because of the temperature, but also the fact that tonight we had soup for dinner. When it is winter, the only thing I want to put into my body is soup (and tea). It was delicious. Tonight's menu: white chicken chili and leftover honey muffins from last week (they were still tasty). Titus was very unsure about the beans in the soup, even after I told him that he likes green beans and this white bean was just a different type of bean.  He did try one and said "I actually like them." That was the highlight of my day.

Comments