The Pumpkin Festival

Well, it is here. I can hear it from where I am sitting in Aaron and Janice's living. (I am thankful, however, that our house isn't right in the middle of it. My brother observed the other evening when we were standing in front of the mini train ride Titus and Mikaela were riding, that the ride was located essentially in someone's front yard (since their house was really close to the street). Yikes. I would definitely leave every year at this time if I was them).

I have lived in central Illinois more years that I am have not. I have never gone to the Morton Festival. Until last Wednesday. When I was little I remember going to the parade a few times, but that was it. (And actually, I think my siblings and I may have been the only children on the planet who did not like candy (I know, right? I have no idea how this happened). So parades probably lost their hype to us even sooner).

Wednesday was my first official "real experience" of the festival. Honestly, it was enough to last me an entire lifetime. Since this isn't my home town and and small town festivals aren't my thing, eh, it was pretty average. We took Titus and MJ out on a few of the kiddie rides (which were still really expensive - another reason why I don't like these things) and stood in the cold. Minus this sniper boy who "picked off" all the kids on the mini train with his plastic rifle, it was fine. My niece and nephew had fun - although their faces often portrayed that they were maybe on the brink on having either a really good time or a really terrible time (especially on the mini "roller coaster").

(Are they having fun, eh, maybe...?)
 Later on, we checked out Adore's spot in the business expo tent and I sampled a pumpkin donut and pumpkin ice cream (both delicious). Since food is practically the only thing I ever think about or what to talk about, I accomplished everything I needed to at this festival.

So even though the pumpkin festival was just gearing up for the weekend, I'm done. This is the exact opposite of me in the city. In Chicago, I want to go to everything. Here, eh, not so much. But that is comparing two different things.


 Instead of joining into the pumpkins today, I got some coffee at Eli's, worked at Adore, hung out at the library, made bread, dinner, and canned peaches. It was a pretty cool and gloomy day and I am convinced that the best way to spend a day like this is baking. The smell of baking bread in the oven warms my soul I think. Also, I finished up all the peaches and ended up with 10 pints. They weren't very ripe, but had bad spots so felt like I needed to otherwise they were going to rot away. Hopefully, in the winter when I crack them open, they will be tasty.


I also just finished reading "East of Eden," which is one of the best books I have ever read in my life. So now I feel "ruined" to books, since I know whatever I read next is not going to be as good. This is why I headed to the library today.  I was working on some other stuff, and at the end of my time there went around and picked random books off the shelf. (This is what happens when I don't bring my "reading list" with me). I am actually pretty pumped about my books. For one, they are the color green. I got one fiction book (a Barbara Kingsolver - though not the one I was looking for originally, but that's fine). A book about gardening (which is a terrible thing to read in the fall because then I get excited and can't do anything). And a vegan cook book. (I have no intention of being a vegan. Ice cream is my favorite food. Cheese is really close). I really am tired of eating meat and so thought it would be interesting to read. Also, I made this chocolate cake that is so good - realized this summer that it is vegan. Also the sandwich bread I am - vegan. Often when I think of vegan food, I think of some sort of weird sprout thing sounded by tofu. But it's not all strange. So it'll be interesting, I think.



This blog has lost focus. So I am done.

Comments

  1. Laura says...

    Is the Poisonwood Bible on your reading list?! If not, it should be! I loved that book, very strange and crazy! :) Miss your wonderful self Banana!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment