Ham and cheese, if you please



The whole point of this blog is to move away from the processed things of life, and to get back to basics. 

However, I must confess something. Sometimes I really crave processed foods. I know. It goes against everything I am trying to do here. Plus it's terrible for me and most everything and everyone involved in its existence. Most of the time, I do not give into these cravings. (After all, there is no Steak n Shake anywhere near here, which is really good because ever since our Christmas trip to Illinois I have discovered this new addiction to french fries I never knew was in me. weird). 

One of the things I miss from my former food choice days is, get this, hot pockets. I used to love them. I haven't had one in a long time, but I sometimes still miss the melted meat and cheese goodness inside those microwaveable thing. 

So tonight Leah and I made our own "hot pockets." (Actually, it was essentially Stromboli, but hey, it was very similar).  Even though Jeron didn't really like it, I thought it was delightful and completely fulfilled my craving for a hot pockets. 

Obviously, it was way more delicious then those frozen mysteries could ever be.

Ham and Cheese Hot Pockets
1 frozen french bread dough, defrosted. 
deli ham
Cheese sauce*

Let dough rise according to directions on package. Roll out. Layer with ham and cheese sauce. Roll up, making sure to seal the ends. Place on a greased baking sheet. Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes. (Allow to rest a few minutes before eating otherwise that cheese sauce will probably burn your mouth off).

Leah and I also had this leftover for lunch the next day. Even reheated in the microwave, it was super delicious. 

Cheese Sauce: In sauce pan, melt 2 T butter. Add 2 T flour to form a roux. Over med-low heat, add 1 cup milk (the milk should not sizzle). Stir continually with a whisk until thicken. Remove from heat and add 1 cup of cheese.



Comments