This week's winners

I love when we get the latest issues of Healthy Cooking (a publication from Taste of Home) arrives in the mail.

Oh the excitement.

Usually that is a true statement, but the recent issues haven't yielded much interested from our end. This issue was different  - a lovely discovery since I love trying out new recipes. This week, the winners included Hearty Breaded Fish Sandwiches and Easy-does-it Spaghetti. yum.

On Tuesday, we had spaghetti. I feel very average about spaghetti. It's fine, but I never want to make it. Or eat it.

Ever.

Maybe I had it one too many times with my teammates in the Manse. I headed into Monday's meal with no expectations.

Okay, y'all this is probably the best homemade spaghetti I've ever had. Maybe I was that fact that I was super hungry on Tuesday that made it taste even better. Regardless, it is a winner. Move over store canned marinara sauce, this recipe means business.

(*sidebar: I appologize for the pour image quality. We wanted to eat, so I didn't bother to check if the weird lighting was effecting my focusing ability. yes it was).

Easy-Does-It Spaghetti 



1 pound turkey sausage
1-3/4 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
3 cups tomato juice
1 can (14-1/2 ounces) no-salt-added diced tomatoes, drained
1 can (8 ounces) no-salt-added tomato sauce
1 small onion
1 small green pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/8 teaspoon ground Italian Seasoning
6 ounces uncooked multigrain spaghetti, broken into pieces
Shaved Parmesan cheese, optional

In a Dutch oven, cook sausage, mushrooms, onions and pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the tomato juice, tomatoes, tomato sauce, onion, salt, garlic powder, mustard, pepper, and Italian seasoning.

Bring to a boil. Stir in spaghetti. Cover and simmer for 12-15 minutes or until spaghetti is tender. Garnish with cheese if desired.

---



Fish and I have a tricky relationship. I like to order it sometimes when I am out at a restaurant, but I hate cooking it. For some reason raw fish and especially fish "skin" makes me want to scream and shiver and throw up all at the same time. Plus the smell is really bad. (I have no problem with chicken skin though, which doesn't make any sense). bah. Conclusion, I never make fish for myself. Often, I long for those mysterious, frozen fish sticks that Mom used to give us for lunch when we were little. I can deal with that fish. Well, except I can't because it's processed food, so I don't eat it.

Tricky.

This week, my sister bravely decided to make this for supper on Tuesday. Result? Amazing. Plus we used cod, which tends to be the less "fishy" of all the fish. This is good for the squeamish like me. (Also, I made homemade rolls, which turn anything into a masterpiece thanks to Gram's never fail recipe).


Hearty Breaded Fish Sandwiches              


1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
1 egg
½ c flour
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
4 cod fillets (6 ounces each)
4 whole wheat hamburger buns, split
1/4 cup plain yogurt
1/4 cup fat-free mayonnaise
2 teaspoons lemon juice
2 teaspoons sweet pickle relish
1/4 teaspoon dried minced onion

In a shallow bowl, combine the bread crumbs, garlic powder, cayenne and parsley. Dip fish in flour, then egg, and then coat fillets with bread crumb mixture.

Moisten a paper towel with cooking oil; using long-handled tongs, lightly coat the grill rack. Grill cod, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 4-5 minutes on each side or until fish flakes easily with a fork. Grill buns over medium heat for 30-60 seconds or until toasted.

To make the tarter sauce:
 In a small bowl, combine the yogurt, mayonnaise, lemon juice, relish and minced onion.
*Both recipes are adapted from Healthy Cooking


Comments