My Siren Song Pizza

I really love it when we eat pizza during the week day. For some reason this delicious meal is always saved for "weekend-type" events. That is just ridiculous.

We have this crust recipe that is my favorite (thus far) and it is super delicious pared with this Spinach Chicken Alfredo topping.


Oh. My. Goodness.

I just want to eat the entire thing by myself. (Siren song)

But I don't.

Dang.

Actually, have any of you ever heard of this phrase "siren song" before? I heard it recently on a Joy the Baker podcast (which is what I listen to at work when I am really desperate. They don't really talk about baking, which was weird to me and surprising). I had no idea what it was. I thought at first it was something they made up. But then I heard it referenced somewhere else last week.

So I googled it and came upon this wikipedia article. (This whole time I was thinking siren, like that thing on top of cop cars. But nope, apparently it's a Greek mythology reference. Siren's Song). According to the ever reliable wikipedia, a "siren song refers to an appeal that is hard to resist but that, if heeded, will lead to a bad result."

Siren Songs, for me, usually revolve around food. (Though some un-food related siren songs would be my desire to run through the ready for harvest wheat fields, Sound of Music style. Also my desire to lie down on the rug in the middle of my office is my siren song. Dang, every day I want to do this. Seriously. Every day).

At the Baker household, we currently have 6 (yes, 6) quarts of ice cream in our freezer. (IT IS AWESOME! and proof that summer is officially here). I could eat oh so much of it. (Siren Song) But I don't. I have a normal person helping.


This pizza we made for supper is also a siren song. I am eating some of the leftovers for lunch tomorrow and I cannot wait. I love me some lunch, (though if only I could eat it while sitting on the floor in the middle of my office...)

--
Chicken Alfredo Pizza


1 package (1/4 ounce) quick-rise yeast
1 cup warm water (120° to 130°)
1 teaspoon sugar
1-1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
2-1/2 to 3 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons cornmeal
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
1/4 teaspoon pepper
4-1/2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
1-1/2 cups 2% milk
1 cups cubed cooked chicken breasts
tomatoes, chopped
chopped fresh baby spinach
4 cups (16 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning

In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the sugar, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 2-1/2 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).

Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes.
                       
Sprinkle cornmeal over pizza pan coated with cooking spray. On a floured surface, roll dough out. Transfer to prepared pan. Build up edges slightly. Prick dough thoroughly with a fork; brush with oil. Bake at 425° for 5-8 minutes or until edges are lightly browned.

In a small saucepan, sauté garlic in butter until tender. Stir in the parsley, pepper and remaining salt. Combine flour and milk until smooth. Stir into pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until slightly thickened.

Spread over crusts; top with chicken, tomatoes, spinach, cheeses and Italian seasoning. Bake 10-12 minutes longer or until crusts are lightly browned and cheeses are melted.

Adapted from Healthy Cooking


*This is the pizza crust we always use for our pizza now. A lot of the time we will mix in some whole wheat flour (decreasing the white flour amount). For supper tonight, we also added feta cheese and greek olives to our pizza. 

Comments