Zucchini Turkey burgers

I would be a vegetarian if I didn't love to grill so much in the summer. Not that this is a valid reason considering my food convictions, but hey, I am a flexitarian after all.

The zucchini battle continues onward. I gave away one yesterday, but our pile still feels the same to me.  This means that zucchini needed to be on the menu again tonight, especially since we are going to Iowa on Sunday. (And more will be waiting for us when we return. I am sure of this).

I came up with this recipe two summers ago when I was trying to figure out what to do with Mom and Dad's zucchini stock pile that summer. I had found this zucchini cake recipe (that is the different from the one I usually make). I found myself thinking, "hmm, this might make a good turkey burger." And thus Zucchini turkey burgers were born.

*Since I am the one who made up this recipe, the recipe guidelines are pretty, well, free. I never used to be like this, but I am now notorious for just dumping stuff in. I did try to guess what amounts I used in order to create the following recipe.



---

Zucchini Turkey Burgers

1 lb. ground turkey
1 c zucchini, shredded
1/4 to 1/2 cup of bread crumbs
1/4 c oats
1/4 of an onion, chopped
2 -3 T fresh basil, diced
1 garlic clove
1/4 c feta cheese

Combine ingredients together, adding enough bread crumbs/oat to form a nice patty. (If it feels like it will a part, it will be a disaster on your grill). Grill until cooked through. (Ground turkey is very hard to grill. It likes to stick. If you are having problems, try grilling it on top of aluminum foil).

Comments