Moving into a new house

There is this kids movie (that is maybe based off a book, but I am not too sure without googling it) called Lyle the Crocodile. Essentially it is about this family who moves into a new house and discovers their new place comes with a crocodile. I think. I don't know. The only thing I remember about the movie is this song the family sings. And actually the only thing I remember about that song is the line "Moving into a new house." If this blog could sing, I would give you a sample.

Any time I move anywhere, this song pops into my head. That is exactly what I did today. After months of living with my sister and brother-in-law, I finally moved out.  I will eventually be moving into a flat with my new housemate, Laura. However, for the month of July I am house sitting for the Sharp Family. It is a pretty typical thing for people who work for Hesston College (and thus have a 9 month contract) to peace out during the worst time to be in Kansas: July and August. We know a lot of people who have this schedule, so it kind of feels like every one gets up and leaves. But here I am. Still here. Anyway, that is what happened with the Sharps. They mostly offered me this gig in order to provide me with my own space and to give the Baker's back theirs.

I am generally pretty excited to live in this 1920s bungalow. It's a pretty sweet house. Plus, Amy and I have very similar styles.

But it is also pretty strange at the same time. This is the first time in the history of my life that I've ever lived alone. True, it's only a month, but it still feels weird all the same. I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that even though I am not leaving town, this is still a transitions. And transitions are kind of tricky. I really enjoyed living with the Bakers and getting to see my sister every single day. That's nice. Also, I like living with a dog, (especially one for whom I am not responsible). Even when I am home alone there, I can talk to Scooter. Here, I just have my crazy self.

Oh well, this set up isn't for very long. And then I will have a whole new thing. I feel a little bit anxious about it, mostly due to the fact that I think that I might be kind of a hard person to live with. We'll see I guess.

In the meanwhile, you can now find me at 232.


Comments