My "gnarley" zucchini muffin humble brag

Do you know what humble brags are yet? Well, brace yourself. Here comes one:

I am not the best at trying to figure out how to adjust recipes to meet my specific desires, but I nailed these zucchini muffins on the first try.

(That, my friends, is a humble brag). nbd.

Well, okay, technically, I did not "nail" making these muffins for what my boss wanted specifically. I used maple sugar instead of brown sugar, which, apparently is still bad news bears if you are a diabetic. So, I still have some experimenting to do. However, if you are just counting the fact that my 1st batch turned out to be edible, then yes, they were successful. My boss totaled up the calorie count and it was about 173, which, for a muffin, is not bad at all.

Since I liked this version and feel very proud of it, I thought I would share it on here.


Gnarly zucchini muffins

1 1/2 c flour
3/4 c milled flax seed*
3/4 c oats
1 c brown sugar OR 3/4 c maple syrup
2 t baking soda
1 t baking powder
1/2 t salt
2 t cinnamon
2 c zucchini, grated
1 c walnuts
3/4 c milk (Reduced by 3 T. You must do this if you use the maple syrup option otherwise your batter will be way too runny) 
2 eggs beaten
1 t vanilla

Mix together dry ingredients in a large bowl.

Stir in zucchini and nuts

Combine all wet ingredients. Pour liquid mixture into dry and stir until batter is moist. Do not over mix.

Full muffin cups 3/4 full. Bake at 350F for 15 to 20 minutes

Drizzle with honey and enjoy.

Adapted from Joy the Baker's blog


*So I learned on Joy the Baker's blog (which, by the way, is awesome) that flax seed can actually be used as a replacement for butter and oil. Isn' that crazy? I found it extremely crazy.

They might not be exactly what my boss was hoping for, but hey, if you want a semi-healthy muffin for breakfast that uses zucchini, well, this one is for you.

Comments