There and back again


It seems as if I have just spent my entire life traveling around from one place to the other, only to occasionally touch base in Hesston before flying off once again.

Of course, this is only partially true. I just so happened to lump all of my travels this summer into a tiny time frame.

My recent wanders took me, along with the rest of the "Kansas kids" to rural Iowa for my Zehr family reunion. For being in rural Iowa, it was not too bad. We spent the entire duration at Twin Lakes and, thanks to my Uncle's boat, we spent most of that time on or around the water. Some of the highlights included...

Seeing my fearless Grandmother (who is in her 80s) try out the zip line. (I am continually amazed at this woman)...


Hanging out with my cousins....


rediscovering my love for puzzles (especially cousin-puzzle time)...



Spending a ton of time outside (and in water so it didn't seem too bad that it was 90 degrees)...


And trying tubing for the first time, (which left its mark on everyone who tried it).



Now I am back again and I have no plans on any more adventures any time soon. This feels okay right now. I am about ready to move to a new/temporary location and I somewhat feel like I am still trying to "catch my breath" from my Bolivian adventures (which is why I still have yet to blog about it).

But I am mostly glad to be back because I feel like I left my garden in its hour of need. July is the month when we race the sun/heat in order to keep our veggie alive. My tomatoes are breaking my heart. They are so dry looking and some of them are starting to get dry rot. (This essentially means that I will once again stoop to terrible, non-organic lows in order to keep them fungus free). My cucumber is on the edge of death. And my worst news of the day: Hagrid is dead. Completely dead. It looks like someone burned him alive.

"Well, it was a gourd," Leah told me with finality when I came inside defeated.

I hope so. Regardless, I guess it's not too important since my pumpkins are taking over my entire garden. It is a hot mess out there. And I mean that in every possibly way. You will notice my lack of garden photos tonight because it is in its ugliest stage. If I hadn't left it, I feel like it wouldn't have gotten this bad. But then again, I hate weeding so probably it would've.

In other, brighter news, I did pick a few tomatoes this evening (that don't have any strange puss or dry rot on them). Also, I got more free cucumbers from the wellness center today when I went there for my run. So win-win-win. Plus, my watermelon is still alive. That's all I really want anyway.

Well, that and to be able to sleep-in in my own bed.  It's good to be home.

Comments