Broccoli noodles

My relationship with broccoli is coming around.

For you hardcore readers out there, you might remember me mentioning my determination to like broccoli since 1. I am an adult so that feels like something I should conquer in order to be "more" of one 2. it is very good for you and 3. Since my realization that I've been tricked into thinking that corn and peas were vegetables, (they are not. They are in the grain and legume groups, respectively.) I've found that I eat very little vegetables. And although I believe in rethinking the food pyramids in order to think on a more local, in-season level, I am also someone who wants live a healthy lifestyle. This means, that until that one day when I can harvest a ton of produce from my land (and have the space and time to store it for the winter), I will sometimes have to break down and buy broccoli from Dillons.

Dunt dun dah.

(That was daunting music just in case you missed it).

This week was one of those times. I have this "Vegetarian Express Lane" cookbook. I think I want to try and make everything that is in it. For me, this is more doable then Julia Child's book, especially as someone who is poor and is a flexitarian. All the recipes are realistic, have only a handful of ingredients, and work well for a "I'm so tired from work I don't want to do anything but sit on the couch and watch reruns of The Big Bang Theory on television" lifestyle.

Tonight, I used the Asian Broccoli Noodles recipe. I forgot to use low sodium soy sauce, but it was still good nevertheless. Plus, it had broccoli in it. And no, I did not try and avoid them. I ate all of those little green trees right up.

Chomp.

There aren't almonds in the recipe, but they managed to sneak over from my spinach salad to my noodles for the photo. 

Asian Broccoli Noodles

1 medium head broccoli, chopped
1 small onion, diced
1-2 cloves garlic, minced
2 T peeled, minced ginger
2 T peanut butter
1/4 c low sodium soy sauce
3 T water or veggie broth
Juice of 1 lemon (which is about 2 T)
1/4-1/2 t salt (depending on taste)
8 oz cooked spaghetti
1-2 T veggie oil

While spaghetti is cooking, mince onions and combine in a small bowl with garlic, ginger, peanut butter, soy sauce, and sugar. Stir to blend peanut butter, then add water or broth, lemon juice and salt.

Heat oil in skilled and add broccoli. Stir-fry for 3 minutes. Add drained noodles, stirring constantly to heat them evenly. Stir in peanut butter mixture until sauce is evenly distributed throughout.

*Adapted from Vegetarian Express Lane cookbook: Hassle-Free, Healthful Meals for Really Busy Cooks

Comments