Weekend eats

Recently, I am letting food blogs get the best of me. I follow a few, but Joy the Baker and Annie's Eats are by far my favorites. The recipes are consistently awesome and, my favorite, are full of DYI recipes that help me keep away from overly processed foods.

But those are just two of many and I kind of get sucked into the food blog world on a weekly basis. This isn't that big of deal. But the thing is that I try to make all these fairly time intensive recipes during the week. When I plan my shopping list, it doesn't seem like that big of deal. However, when I come home on a Monday night, it's a whole different story. I am too lazy for life. That's what it comes down, at least during the week.

So, I am trying to save a bulk of my "blog food recipe" for the weekends.

Here's what I made this weekend. And actually none of these recipes are very intense. (The only intense thing about the vegan soup recipe was the fact that I needed to find unsalted cashews, which was very tricky and very pricey). Regardless, I am hoping to start doing a bulk of my cooking during the weekends and have leftovers and the occasional grilled cheese during the week. We'll see how that goes. After all, the food blogs continue to lurk in my google reader with all those delicious pictures.

Vegan "Cream" of Mushroom Soup


(I didn't change anything from this recipe, so just check Joy's website).



Baba Ghanoush

1 eggplant
1/4 c lemon juice (fresh)
1/4 c tahini
2 T sesame seeds
2 cloves garlic, minced
salt and pepper
1 1/2 T olive oil

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly greased a baking sheet.

Place eggplant on baking sheet and make holes in the skin with a fork. (If you don't do this, the eggplant will explode). Roast it for 30 to 40 minutes, turning occasionally, or until soft. Remove from oven and place into a large bowl of cold water. Remove from water and peel off the skin.

Place eggplant, lemon juice, tahini, sesame seeds, and garlic in a electric blender, and puree. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Transfer eggplant mixture to a medium size mixing bowl, and slowly mix in olive oil. Refrigerate fro 3 hours before serving. Serve with chopped veggies, pita, or crackers.

*Source: Taste of Home


Dill Rolls

Dissolve:
1 pkg. yeast
1/4 c warm water

Combine in the mixing bowl:
1 c cottage cheese
1 t dill weed
1/2 t salt
1/4 t soda
1 egg
1 T melted butter
1/2 T minced onion
2 T sugar

Add:
yeast mixture
2 1/4 to 2 1/2 c flour

Stir well to combine. Kneed until dough forms a smooth ball. Let rise in greased bowl to double in size. Shape into rolls and place into a greased 9x13 pan. Let rest for about 10 minutes. Bake at 350 for 25 minutes or until golden brown. Brush with butter or oil.

Source: Adapted from More with Less

Comments