Butternut squash ravioli. From scratch. bucket.

Cross another thing off my "fall bucket list," folks. Last night, we made a fall themed stuff pasta. More specifically, we made Butternut Squash Ravioli.


Out of everything on that list, this was the one I wanted to make happen the most. It was so worth it. I've heard people say that pasta is not very hard to make, but I've always been intimated by it. So when my housemate, Annali, told me that she and her family makes pasta all the time, I felt that new possibilities were going to open up in my world of cooking. (It also helps that she has a pasta maker).



Not going to lie, it is pretty labor intensive. But if you have a buddy, or two, than it isn't too bad, especially if you have the filling made up before hand, (which I did not. Still, it's a nice idea).

pasta master, Annali

Jasmine just rolled out her first pasta dough!
I found the original recipe at the blog 100 days of Real Food. So, I would suggest, that if you make this recipe, that you start there, especially since Annali made the dough, so I going to and recall what she did. So just to be safe, see the original for detailed instructions.

Pasta Dough
1 egg
1 c flour

Pulse together in a food processor until the dough starts to "flake." If the dough is not sticking together, add a few drops of ice cold water. Kneed until dough starts to form a ball. Divide into four pieces. You could roll this out by hand if you don't have a pasta machine. But if you do, see the tips here. Once rolled out, set pasta aside.

Butternut Squash filling

1 butternut squash, deseeded, cooked and whipped
1 T butter
1/2 c cream cheese
1 T honey
Pinch of cinnamon
Pinch of nutmeg
1/3 c grated parmesan cheese (I forgot to buy this so we just left it out).


Making the pasta

Cut the pasta dough into strips of desired size, remembering that the pasta will expand when cooking. Fill with about 1 t of filling (or desired amount). Using our finger, wet the edges of the pasta and fold up. Seal by pressing the pasta together with a fork. Cook in boiling water for about 3 minutes. Drain and toss with Brown Butter Sauce.





Brown Butter Sage Drizzle

5 T butter
dash of ground sage

Melted together in a saucepan until the edges of the butter start to brown, being careful not to burn it.



Source: Adapted from 100 Days of Real Food


Comments