the turkey, yeah, mashed potatoes, yeah...

I cannot get that dumb song out of my head.

What? You haven't heard it. That's probably for the better. It's this youtube video that is trying to be Rebecca Black, but it's worse. If you can actually imagine that. And it's about Thanksgiving.  Awful, but still, hilarious.

It's late but since today is a holiday all about food, it seems like a waste to not blog about it. This year was my first year to help organize/cook a Thanksgiving meal. And let me tell you, it is better to be on the receiving side of this job. (Shout out to my Grandma Florence who makes it look like it is the simplest thing ever).  I should've known that almost crying in front of the frozen turkey section at Dillon's earlier this week was going to be some type of foreshadowing.

In all reality, there really wasn't anything wrong with our meal. But we had wanted to eat around 4. We started eating at 6:30. The dumb turkey would not get up to temp; The butternut squash was old and fibrous (and majorly disappointing); and we almost burned down the house when a renegade hot-pad somehow landed on the bottom of the oven, without any of us knowing it, until my brother saw flames through the oven window. It could've been a disaster. Praise God, it was not.

The remains

None of these things are that big of deal (especially since the fire was caught and controlled), but Thanksgiving is exhausting. And since I hate dealing with large chunks of meat, it felt stressful. If I didn't love stuffing and gravy so much, I'd say, forget this. Next year we are having enchiladas.

Chomp.

Brunch coffees

Thanksgiving brunch pancakes

Headed to the park to enjoy the lovely weather

Ready to eat!

So, despite the dinner situation, it was still a pretty good day. It was, after all, 71 degrees outside today. It was lovely. I also ended my day totally ignoring red flags and just murdering this pie with Leah and Jeron. Yep. Just the three of us with forks and a container of homemade whipped cream.

That's how we do

Bam. 


Despite the meal and all it's mishaps, I was fairly pleased with how the rolls turned out. I strayed away from my classic dinner roll today and made my mom's crescent rolls. They still are not as good as hers, but they did the trick. And since nothing strange happened when I made them, I decide that this was going to be the recipe I'd share with you. Enjoy! And watch out for those hot-pads...

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

Now, don't let Black Friday turn you into a crazy person.





Mom's Traditional Roll Dough

1 pkg yeast
1/4 c warm water
3/4 c lukewarm milk (scalded than cooled)
1/2 c sugar
1 t salt
1 egg
1/4 cup butter (Mom usually puts this in the saucepan with the milk when she scalds it so it melts)
3 1/2 - 3 3/4 c flour

Dissolve yeast in warm water. Stir in milk, sugar, salt, egg, butter and 2 cups flour. (Don't add the milk until it's cool enough that it won't kill the yeast). Beat until smooth. Mix in enough flour to make dough easy to handle.

Turn dough onto lightly floured board; knead until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes. Place in greased bowl; turn greased side up. Cover; let rise in a warm place until doubled.

Punch down dough and divide in half. Roll into 12 inch circle. Brush with melted butter. Cut into 8 wedges. Roll up, beginning at the outside edge. Place rolls on greased baking sheet. Repeat with other half. Bake for 350 for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Brush with melted butter when they come out of the oven.

*Source: I am pretty sure Mom got this out of her Betty Crocker cookbook, but I am not 100% sure.

Comments