The best sugar cookies of my life.... thus far

"Are you listening to Christmas music?" My housemate, Annali, said to me as she walked into the kitchen, with a look of shock on her face.

"Yep," I replied, "I made Christmas cookies too."

These are my half attempts of "getting in the holiday spirit." Am I wholeheartedly convinced? Probably not, but sometimes I make an effort.

Today's effort was motivated purely by the dismal sky and the fact that I wanted to eat cookies. Enter the sugar cookie.

I first discovered this recipe during my days at Mojo's. After trying out a few sugar cookie recipes that were, eh, fine, I finally stumbled upon this one from Annie's Eats. So good. It's really the almond extract that does that trick. So far, these are the best sugar cookies I can possibly make. I like to roll them pretty thick too so they stay mostly soft and not crunchy.

yum.

Happy Christmas!



Sugar Cookies

1 cup unsalted butter, softened (note: if you use salted butter, these cookies will turn out too salty)
1 cup powdered sugar
1 egg
1 1/2 t almond extract
1 t vanilla
3/4 t salt
2 1/2 c flour

Creme together butter, sugar, egg and extracts. Add salt and flour. Mix well until it starts to shape into a ball.

Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours or stick in the freezer for about a half an hour.

When dough is firm enough to handle, roll out and cut into desired shapes. Bake at 375 for 10 minutes.

Allow to cool and then frost.



Source: Adapted from Annie's Eats

Comments