Pumpkin whoopie pies

Trying to stay true to my last blog post, I am back. And it's only been a few days since my last entry. Crazy.  To make it even more true to that post, I am currently snacking on leftover nacho cheese sauce that I made.

Anyway, committing to blogging a lot in February has made me reach back into the "blog post ideas" section of my brain to pull up something I should've blogged about in November: Pumpkin whoopie pies.

Actually, there is a reason why I did not blog back in the fall. I didn't get around to it until a few weeks ago. But I had been thinking about them since I made my "Fall Bucket List." Since it was still on my radar, I went for it. Even though pumpkin is in fact a winter squash, it feels a little weird it eat it after the holidays. It is also strange that this is one of the few vegetables most people use in season (despite the fact that they still get it at the store and always buy it year round. Oh well. I will take my wins where I can get them).

So the new norm is for me to apparently never use my own camera. Jasmine took this photo when she came home from work and found pumpkin whoopie pies cooling. 

So while everyone else is making baked goods into heart shapes, here is a fall throw back. You're welcome.


Pumpkin Whoopie Pies

1/2 c soft butter
1/2 c veggie oil
2 c brown sugar
2 T molasses
1 t baking powder
1/2 t baking soda
1 t salt
2 t cinnamon
1 t ground ginger
1/2 t ground nutmeg
1/4 t ground cloves
2 eggs
1 1/2 c (one 15oz can) pumpkin
2 1/4 c flour

Filling:
1 4oz package cream cheese, room temperature
2 T soft butter
2-3 c confectioners' sugar
splash of milk (if needed)
splash of vanilla

Preheat the oven to 375.

Beat together the first 11 ingredients (i.e the butter - cloves). Beat in eggs, 1 at a time, until fluffy. Add pumpkin. Add flour.

Use a muffin or a small ice cream scoop to deposit the batter onto greased baking sheets, leaving about 2 inches around each mound.

Bake the cookies until they feel firm, about 16 minutes. Remove from the oven, allow to cool on the baking sheets for 5 minutes before moving them to racks to cool completely.

For filling, cream together the cream cheese and butter. Add the rest adjusting your levels of confectioners' sugar and milk until you get the consistency you want. (I am the worst at telling people how to make frosting. I never follow recipes. I just go for it. And honestly, it's pretty hard to mess up frosting. No fear. You can do it.

After the cookies have completely cooled, spread frosting on one cookie and top with another, "sandwiching" the frosting. For best storage, wrap each pie in plastic wrap.

Source: Adapted from Taste of Home

Comments