Good Luck Garden

I finally was able to get my garden planted. Finally.

And actually, it feels as if we have officially skipped the rest of spring and flown immediately into summer temperatures and no rain.

I might be getting ahead of myself here. After all, spring is a hopeful time. Maybe things will be better this year. And sure I worry about my tomatoes, but they will probably be okay. They are finally in the ground and that feels awesome.

Thanks mostly to Levent who tilled my plot at the community garden when I was at work, I was able to get all my summer crops in the ground on Wednesday. I planted (count them) 12 tomato plants (but one those is a cherry tomato variety called Juliet. How can you not swoon over that?), 2 cantaloups, 2 zucchini, 1 watermelon, 1 butternut squash, 1 eggplant, and 1 pumpkin called Big Max. It's going to be a vine jungle if they all survive. My guess though is that with the heat and the squash bugs, not all of that will make it, which is why I planted a lot. Also because I want to can a ton of tomatoes for the winter. That is always the goal. We'll see if this year brings that dream to reality.
Swoon


I spent a good chunk of today doing some garden maintenance things. I did a little weeding (ugh, the worst), harvested a ton of spinach (my plot at the Baker's is amazing), surrounded my peas and potatoes with old grass clippings that smelled like farm, transplanted some mint from the Baker's yard into 417's garden plot, and replanted some green beans. To end the day, I planted a few marigolds to help keep the bugs away from my garden plots.

Oh green beans, I worry about you. I have three rows at the community garden, but they are struggling. I need to look up (or ask my garden expert Father) how I can spruce these babies up. Canning a ton of green beans is also my goal, but I feel doubtful that one will come to pass.

Oh well. There are always farmer's markets.

Gardening is a lot of work. But that good tired feeling after working outside and the insane about of greens in my fridge right now makes it all worth it.

Good luck garden. Grow. Grow. Grow.

Comments