Indian Sweet Potato Cakes

What should I eat for supper?

That is always the question. The question that constantly leads me to go to Dillons more than I think I should. (Ugh, I am not a fan of grocery shopping).

The question seems harder on nights when I did not plan a meal. Usually that loosely translates into eating a grilled cheese sandwich. Or, if it is greens season, a mega salad. Yum. Those suppers are my favorite.

But summer is finally upon us and my lettuce and spinach have been rooted up.

Sigh.

Back to the drawing board... or maybe the cutting board in this case.

Don't get me wrong. I love a good grilled cheese sandwich. I love dairy. (In fact, I think my summer bucket list is basically only making and eating dairy based things. oops). However, my body doesn't always love dairy. In fact, I think I am slowly becoming lactose intolerant. (Worst news! Ice cream and cheese are in my top five favorite foods). I know I need to make more of an effort to try and at least reduce how much dairy I am consuming, (especially since it could be nice on my skin as well as my ability to run).

So then we have the grilled cheese dilemma.

 On Wednesday, I found myself in a similar situation, but it was also layered in the fact that I barely cook any more and I miss it, especially in the summer when farmer's markets are plentiful.

I was watering my garden in the backyard when the smell of something spicy and savory floated through the air.

"Lucky," I thought to myself as I filled up my finial bucket of water.

However, instead of being sad about my dinner fate, I remember that I used to be very good at whipping up suppers out of nothing. (Thank you, manse life). I also remember that I had my new Moosewood Cookbook and surely there was something simple in there I could make pretty quickly.

I searched my pantry and realized I still had one lone sweet potato left over from a few weeks ago. After a search in the index, I settled on Indian Sweet Potato Cakes.

Yum yum and yum.



This recipe is very simple but it is very flavorful and everything I wanted to meet my spicy savory craving. It is also dairy-free, though, I must confess, I ate it with plain yogurt. (But yogurt is good for your digestive system, so I feel fine about that choice.

Indian Sweet Potato Cakes

1 1/2 c shredded sweet potato
1 t curry powder
1/2 t garam masala (you can just use more curry powder if you don't have this)
1/2 t salt
14-1/2 cup fresh bread crumbs
1/2 c chopped onions
2 eggs

Combine all ingredients. Warm a large nonstick skilled on the stovetop. (The orginial reciepe said you don't need to use oil if your pan is nonstick. However, I did not believe in my skillet's ability to not cause a mess. So I used about 1 t of oil, heated in the pan).

Form mix into small patties and put on skillet. Flatten into a circle with a spatula. Cook on medium heat for about 5 minutes on one side before filling cakes over to cook for 3 more minutes. Add additional cooking time, if need, until the cakes are golden brown. Serve with plain Greek yogurt and/or a mango peach chutney, if you have it. (I did not but it sounds nice. I also makes me think of Schmidt from New Girl.)




Source: Adapted from Moosewood Restaurant Low-Fat Favorites

Comments