Ending summer

I don't even know, friends.

Summer is coming to an end and for those whose schedules are defined by academic schedules it already is. Luckily for me (or maybe unluckily), I don't have that schedule issue in my life. For me, summer is over when the leaves change and the temperature drops.

On some level, it would nice to just declare when summer was over and be done with it. On to the next.   And then my garden would obey me and all of my canning would fit perfectly into my own orderly life.

Ha. okay.

Thankfully, that is not how life works.

I love summer. I love gardening. Don't get me wrong. Yet, there comes a time at the end of the season when I am ready to put my garden flip flops (or slops as I call them) away. It is the time of year when I don't even know what to blog about anymore. Sure, I canned more peaches and green beans, but I already blog about those things.


Peaches from Colorado. Today I added 9 quarts to the count. 

I also cut my peppers in order to freeze them
Canning can be a lonely activity. (Well, it mostly makes me miss my sister who used to help me a lot). It also is exhausting. On days like today when I've spent a good chuck in the kitchen, I often wonder, "what did I used to do in the winter?" I can't even remember.

I've been trying to be better about actually enjoying my weekends. Sometimes I make my "to-do" list way too long that I forget to sit down...
I really should not be complaining. I have officially not watered my garden for a month. That is so crazy! That simply does not happen. (Except, that it did. right now). My garden labor this summer has been low compared to what it could've been with watering jobs as well. It has felt like a lot right now because I keep having produce in my store room that needs to be preserved.

The rain is a blessing, despite the swamp that is the backyard at 417. And hey, it really is okay if I don't do a fall crop of beans anyway. So okay, rain, do your thing.

But how many more times should I blog about rain? (It's nuts!)

I don't even know, friends. I don't even know.

I am maybe ready for some new seasons and some new subjects.

Comments