Rain fall

This is nuts.

I went from praying for rain, to celebrating rain, to praying it would stop before it completely engulfed my tomatoes.

It could not/would not stop raining Monday. All day it poured and poured and poured. As per usually, after work I went to the wellness center for awhile. I was in the middle of crunches when I noticed how bad it was getting outside. After the realization that my bedroom windows were open (and had been all day) and the realization that crunches are the worst, I decided to call it quits and head home.

Could it really be as extreme as they had predicted?

Yes and Yes.

I live on south main street in Hesston, just north of the creek that runs through this part of down. Typically there is nothing in the creek bed but misquotes, puddles, and an occasional turtle. This was no longer the case. I happened to be following a white ford focus down main street when it dawned on me. "I don't think I can make it through here." The white ford focus has the same thought and started backing up.

Okay. Plan B.

I knew that Ridge road would be flooded to, but not knowing what else to do, I drove through inches of water hoping I could make it over the creek on that side of town. I managed. But as I was driving, I must've hit a bump because all of a suddenly my car was engulfed by some type of tidal wave. For a second I had zero visibility and my brakes were slippery.

Freak out moment.

Thankfully, I happened to be close to my friends' house and not knowing what else to do, I decided to seek refugee with them. There I waited until the storm finally past. After thanking Todd and Julie for the impromptu supper and the fresh set of clothes (since mine were soaked from running to and from my car), I headed off to get Levent so we could go scope out the damage.

We walked down main street on the side of the road so we could walk in the deep puddles that were filled with skinny little worms.

Once we got to the end of the street, this is what we saw.
That car easily could've been me. Levent was able to lend them a hand to get the car out of there. 



The creek, which runs right next to the community garden, came way to close to one of my plots. Too close for comfort. 

The next morning, the creek was back down and by the evening this is what it looked like...


Right? This is nuts. 

Thankfully, my garden hung in there. The tomatoes that were on the vines split significantly because of the inches of rain that suddenly were there. But other than that, they are actually blooming up a storm and I didn't have to water them for an entire week. Magical. Every thing is so green and moist that suddenly there are mushrooms all over the place. 


Actually, I've currently gone 18 days without watering my garden. Last summer, I had to water it twice a day and it still died. 

Yeah, this is nuts. 

Comments