Garden day

I took today off to be in the garden. (Well, and because I have to travel again for work again very soon). Despite the insane wind (and the fact that someone used some of manure at the community garden), it was a lovely day. The sun was shining and it was not too hot, which is an amazing combination that Kansas doesn't often get just right.

This morning, I headed to the Arboretum to go to their annual plant sale. I don't like candy (even as a kid) so using the phrase "I was like a kid in a candy store doesn't really apply to me, but you get the idea. I went a little overboard in how much I wanted to spend, but I am very excited about my new, Kansas-friendly plants for our pathetic looking front flower bed.

I bought 2 black eyed Susan plants, 2 Sweet William plants. 2 different types of coneflowers. and a leafy looking plant called Blackberry ice. They are all perennials and I am excited to see if they take off. Here's too hoping…

I also went to Stone Creek Nursery this morning to buy the plants for a community garden plot. And this year, for the first time since the beginning of my gardening history, I did not get sucked in by the names of things. No "Juliet" tomatoes for me this year. I did not go crazy, (which is good since I only have one plot this year and not 2). I bought 6 big variety of tomato plants, 2 peppers, 1 eggplant, 1 cantaloupe and some marigolds to ward off the bugs. On my way over to the Nursery I convinced myself that it was not worthy trying to deal with a lot of squash bugs this year. Thus, I am just planning on buying things like zucchini and butternut squash at the farmer's markets. I feel good about that decision. I also came home with 3 herb plants: mint, basil and cilantro.

I am excited about my new plants, which I love dearly. But I am also excited that it feels way more manageable. I already have potatoes, onions and beans going and some of my spinach is coming up (although only in weird clumped groups).

Oh well. It should be a good growing season… at least that is always what I believe on sunny spring days like today.

Comments