Wrapping up the season


Well my friends, summer is ending. We are at that stage where summer is on its way out and fall is slowly starting to cool everything off. But this is still Kansas. So while summer is over, fall is not quite here yet.

I'm not complaining. This limbo seasonal phase is great actually. It's warm and breezy during the day and cool at night. My AC is happily off.

But as far as gardening goes, it's really hard to know what to keep fighting for and what I should give up on completely. For awhile, I considered pulling up my tomatoes, since they were very diseased anyway and because of the plunging temps at night their green fruit probably won't turn. Also, I am so done with canning and freezing. Done. Over it. Forget it.

But I couldn't do it. I'd go to my garden fully planning to bush whack things but when I would begin the actual tasks of uprooting everything I've worked really hard for this summer, I found I couldn't do it.  Maybe they'll still pull through.

Fact. They did not… or they won't. Considering that I did finally give in and managed to pull up half of my garden. I really should just go over there soon and rip out the rest. But's that's pretty hard to do.

I have a few fall beans and spinach going but I doubt much will become of them (especially since I need to replant my spinach as a weird amount came up).

Oh well. I am super really for fall. It was cold enough on Friday and Levent and I ate soup for supper for the first time this (upcoming) season. (I can never get enough of curried butternut bisque).

One thing I will miss about summer is cooking with seasonal ingredients. Having fresh produce and herbs is my favorite thing to have in the kitchen. Don't get me wrong, I haven't busted out anything pumpkin yet, but as I let my garden fully die my resources to summer ingredients is limited.

Still, these past few weeks I did manage to make a few tasty summer treats with to celebrate the end of the season.
 Joy the Baker's Blueberry Mint Lemonade.
 Annie's Eats' Chicken Gyros with Tzatziki (which we ate on fresh naan instead of pita since I know how to make naan and not good pita bread)
Shutterbean's Garlic Herb Bread Twists (which we made to jazz up leftovers and then mostly just ate the breadsticks)
And finally, Annie's Eats' Corn Cakes with Avocado Relish

There are so many more recipes I wanted to try before the garden dried up, but oh well, I guess there is already next summer. For now, I anxiously await soup and bread season.

Comments