Kansas in July


It's the worst.

It's that point in the summer when it gets unbearably hot and you realize that there are still TWO ENTIRE MONTHS left of this hellish nonsense. (Yep, that's right. September in Kansas is still summer. You're going to be hopefully disappointed if you think that's when fall weather starts. Believe me, I have to remind myself of this every summer).

I fully admit that since I do not have Kansas blood, I am a complete wimp when it comes to this weather. (My Kansas-born friends are like, "eh whatever" and go out in it anyway. And also manage to grow things in their gardens besides weeds. It's impressive). Thus I have "cabin fever" tendencies in the middle of the summer because I do not want to be outside when it's 90 degrees at 9pm. Forget it.

I've been kind of down in the dumps pretty much this whole month. (Can't you tell?) There is a mass shooting almost on a daily basis in this country and don't get me started on any of this Trump nonsense. Ugh. What a mess. So there's that.

My leg stuff continues, although it is slightly lessened. Finally, going to the chiropractor 3 times a week is starting to pay off. However, my inability to exercise like I wish I could continues to make me grumpy and feel unsettled. (I actually paused my gym membership this month).

Anyway, all this to say, I haven't really been in the mood to blog recently since all it would've been was additional grumbling about the previous topics.

But, as usual, there have been good things. In the greater news (I am mean, Michelle Obama is a rock-star as a politician and as a person. She makes me want to be a better person and advocate) and in regular life. I mean, I did get to be in North Carolina (my favorite state), hug my entire family and spend significant time at the beach.

Back on the home front, Levent and I "celebrated" the 4th holiday by hanging out with friends, eating and drinking yummy things, playing corn hole and watching fireworks. (Fireworks in Kansas still blow my mind (no pun intended). Growing up in IL, the 4th of July was pretty controlled since it was illegal to buy and sell large fireworks. Here, it's free reign. For real. The firework show we watched was just someone's personal fireworks. I spent that 3 day weekend listening to the Hamilton Soundtrack and making a berry cake, which I think is the best way to spend this time of year.


In other news, I probably went to Wichita too many times this month. (This is only a problem because I tend to spent too much money when I go). I continue to learn more about this city and the more I do, the more I love it.
New juice bar in ICT
Lunch at Tanya's Soup Kitchen. Always a good choice. 
It is that time of year when my garden takes a turn for the worst. This is happening, but I have been able to harvest and even can some tomatoes. They are the best looking tomatoes I've ever grown. I am very pleased with them. Since tomatoes are always my most desired summer produce, I will be happy if this the only thing I end up harvesting in bulk.

Finally, even though it's been really hot, it has been raining off and on this summer. Meaning that my gardening watering has been at a minimum. That's awesome.
These are my good things. But I really would be lying if I didn't say that I am already excited for autumn.

Comments