Anna with Piriformis Syndrome


Well y'all, I finally (FINALLY) figured out what the heck is wrong with me. After a year and a half of throwing money to the wind for my leg, I have realized that even though I do have a degenerative condition in my spine (that, fun fact, might be genetic) the main source of my discordant comes from having Piriformis Syndrome.

According to the Mayo Clinic, Piriformis Syndrome is a disorder in which the piriformis muscle in the buttock irritates the sciatic nerve.  Symptoms include pain, tingling, or numbness in the buttock and down the leg and may worsen after sitting for a long time, climbing stairs, walking or running.

So you know, basically everything except sleeping.

Whatever.

Levent always smirks at me whenever I tell him my latest health related theory. I don't blame him. It's possible I am quickly becoming a hypochondriac. I've had all these different ideas (from medical professionals) of what is wrong with me. I thought it was just over exercise. I thought it was arthritis, I thought it was bone spurs. I thought maybe it was something really serious (so I did a blood test). And sure, I do have all of these things (minus something serious). But nothing was helping, not even spinal epidurals.

Two weeks ago, my colleague, Tina, sent me this link about Piriformis Syndrome and it was like a light went on in my head. This is finally it. It makes sense that all the spine things I've done have not made any difference. It makes sense that I was over exercising (a year and half ago) and didn't know how to stretch the piriformis properly. It makes sense that things like swimming and yoga, which are great for your spine and joints still can "flare up" my pain (due to the forward motion in swimming and twisting in yoga).

So what now? Well, I am a bit of a mess because I've been dealing with this so long. Here's kind of what it's like: Okay, hold your hands out in front of you, spreading your fingers wide. Okay now clench your left hand into a fist. This is pretty much what has happened with my muscles. Yeah, I'm a mess.

My latest attempt for pain management is going to to a sports chiropractor. The good news is that 1. this doctor is not a creep. (Sadly I went to too many patronizing chiropractors who were so creepy) and 2. he uses physical therapy concepts without the physical therapy price tag. So not only does he do spine adjustments, he also does dry needling, tapes my back and gives me exercises to do at home (all 3 of those things at PT things).  He also activity keeps a chart for me and actually looks at it. (I know, what a concept. He is my 5th chiropractor and he is the only one who has done this. Seriously, it's the wild west out here). The bad news is that his office is located in McPherson, which is about a 25 minute drive from my house and over 30 from work. Again, the wild west; for medical care you have to choose between nearby sexism or far away quality care.

So here's to far away quality care.

I am trying to keep a sane level of optimism and not to completely freak about money. (It is cheaper than physical therapy, but it's not cheap by any means). I am so tired of spending all my disposable income, and then some, on pain management. It's so frustrating. But I really hope this works because if it doesn't, I have no idea what I'll do, minus lying in bed at night fantasizing about taking a scissors to my piriformis muscle.

Anyway, I have no idea how to end this post because pain continues. But I guess, here's to hoping that eventually I'll get it more manageable.

Comments