Garden journal, entry 1

The original point of this blog was to be inspired by local foods and grow them myself. So it feels ironic that I am starting this spring off by saying that I am not overly excited about gardening this year. I am not sure why. Although it might have something to do with my very unsuccessful gardening years in Kansas.

This year, I am actually not doing very much, at least compared to previous years. I think I would rather spend my money at the farmer's market in Wichita instead of buying fox urine to keep Benjamin Bunny from eating my green beans. (I named a bunny that lives in my yard. I see him every day).

A couple weeks ago I planted spinach (and I have some growing on pots on my deck). Last weekend, I planted flowers and onions. This weekend, I mulched. Next weekend (or maybe this week sometime due to the large amount of rain we've been getting), I am going to plant 3 tomato plants. That is it (as far as vegetables go. I am going to also plant sunflowers).

The fact that I'm planting way more flowers than vegetables this year is also a major switch. I used to not care about plants I couldn't eat. I guess my mind changed because of my lack of beautiful tomatoes years after year. At least with flowers, some of them will look nice. Hopefully. Maybe it'll feel more satisfying to grow flowers. Who knows.
This is actually an old picture. I think it's about ready to harvest. 


Comments